• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

Weird linux problem #2 - AAAA glue records

Started by eonesixfour, March 30, 2008, 07:43:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eonesixfour

I don't know what caused this is, or why this occured or what was going on, but the moment I set an AAAA glue record on a domain that I wasn't planning to setup a website on an AAAA record, from then on my Xubuntu laptop for the most part no longer seemed to request A records when I tried to go to the website.

The only way I seemed to get my computer to request A records again was to remove the IPv6 address from DNS.

Does anyone know if this behaviour was really what was supposed to happen?

snarked

Sounds correct.  Resolvers are supposed to query for AAAA records first, and if there's a non-error answer, use the IPv6 address.

eonesixfour

Quote from: snarked on March 31, 2008, 02:45:57 PM
Sounds correct.  Resolvers are supposed to query for AAAA records first, and if there's a non-error answer, use the IPv6 address.

There were errored answered being sent, or maybe I was screwing things up some how on the DNS server side of things hmmmm.

eonesixfour

Yes was my fault, NXDOMAIN was being set and it shouldn't have been, but since I always pick the interesting topics to do stuff on it's hard to find someone that knows more to tell me where I screwed up ;)