• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

Tunnel at multiple locations

Started by eaglelink, January 04, 2010, 09:01:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eaglelink

Hi everyone, I'd like to get your input on this as I am definitely not an IPv6 expert.  For the most part I do ok with setting this up.

Here's my setup, I have 2 servers at 2 different locations.

I have one server at my house that acts as a PBX as well as web server behind a DD-WRT router capable of a HE tunnel.  I say capable because I did have it working before updating firmware, I have to figure out what went wrong.

The other server is a VPS colocated somwhere else that I never see.

The VPS does have IPv6 functionality as I do see that after running ifconfig it show the following.

Quotelo        Link encap:Local Loopback
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
          RX packets:570 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:570 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
          RX bytes:54514 (53.2 KiB)  TX bytes:54514 (53.2 KiB)

Ok, so here's the questions.

Do I need seperate tunnels for each location or can the same tunnel be used at different locations?

How exactly would you suggest I go about setting that up?  If anybody cares to know my servers all run CentOS Linux.

I have the following tunnel/routes available.

2001:470:8869::/48
2001:470:1f07:443::/64

Thanks for any suggestions,
Jeff

jimb

Unless there's a faster connection between your two sites than their internet connections, and one has a faster connection to the internet, it'd make sense to use two separate tunnels.

But there's nothing that would stop you from setting up your own inter-site tunnels if you wanted to use the same address space.  Internet access would have to funnel through one site though (thus the things I said about speed of connections).

eaglelink

That's what I was thinking, but I was hoping there was another way around it and still have the same prefix for both sites.

I'll just set up two seperate tunnels.

Ok, one more question that you might be able to answer for me, or at least point me to a web site.

What is the differences between the /48 and /64?

I've been setting up the /64, but applied for the /48 as well when I was able to (couldn't do that at first when I signed up).

Thanks,
Jeff

jimb

To clarify my previous answer, you can use the same prefix at more than one location, as long as the locations have a link of some type.  Other locations would just use subnets of your prefix.  But all internet traffic to those subnets would have to come through the same tunnel at one site, and make their way over those links.  So, if one site has a really fast internet connection, and all sites have fast WAN connections to each other, it might make sense.  Otherwise separate tunnels make more sense.

/48 and /64 are just prefix lengths just like under IPv4.  If you request a routed /48, HE assigns a /48 block of space to you, and sets a route to that network through your tunnel.  To use the /48, you subnet it into separate /64s.  A /48 gives you 64-48=16 bits of "subnet field", or 65536 /64 networks.  It's basically the equivalent of having a /8 block of IPv4 space, except you have 64 bits of host field instead of 8, so the subnets can have 2^64-1 hosts instead of just 254.