• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

dropping ping packets

Started by lcrcomputer, March 08, 2010, 07:54:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lcrcomputer

I have two tunnels up to HE.  One via our Cisco router and the second from a Linux workstation over the DSL connection here. 

When I first was working on ipv6, my upstream provider was blocking ICMP on ipv4 and I setup a tunnel to SIXXS from my linux workstation.  Later they fixed that and I setup our first tunnel to HE via our Cisco router.

Fast forward and the PoP for SIXXS went down and has been down for several days and I put up a separate tunnel to HE from my linux workstation.

I use Nagios and MRTG here to monitor things and I wanted to monitor the ping times on the ipv6 and monitor up time on the tunnels.  All was well until sometime over night.  From our Nagios server, ping6 to our linux workstation stopped working.

If I go to our linux workstation, I can ping6 to ipv6.he.net and immediately the Nagios server can ping6 the linux workstation for a few minutes.

Again this was working for a couple of days and stopped over night. 

Is there something I am missing or is this an HE issue?

Thanks,
Lyle

tronics

Is your HE tunnel using the new york tunnel server? If so it seems to be down. My tunnel is also using this tunnel server and is not working. Status page indicates that the server is currently down and has been down for several hours today

broquea

Quote from: lcrcomputer on March 08, 2010, 07:54:10 AM
I have two tunnels up to HE.  One via our Cisco router and the second from a Linux workstation over the DSL connection here. 

When I first was working on ipv6, my upstream provider was blocking ICMP on ipv4 and I setup a tunnel to SIXXS from my linux workstation.  Later they fixed that and I setup our first tunnel to HE via our Cisco router.

Fast forward and the PoP for SIXXS went down and has been down for several days and I put up a separate tunnel to HE from my linux workstation.

I use Nagios and MRTG here to monitor things and I wanted to monitor the ping times on the ipv6 and monitor up time on the tunnels.  All was well until sometime over night.  From our Nagios server, ping6 to our linux workstation stopped working.

If I go to our linux workstation, I can ping6 to ipv6.he.net and immediately the Nagios server can ping6 the linux workstation for a few minutes.

Again this was working for a couple of days and stopped over night. 

Is there something I am missing or is this an HE issue?

Thanks,
Lyle

Is that workstation behind some sort of firewall or NAT? Sounds like state isn't being kept so after inactivity because nothing is being sourced from the workstation, and usually a quick fix is to make it update it's time using an NTP server on IPv6.