• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

Are there POP server historical status records kept?

Started by dilkie, March 11, 2010, 02:12:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dilkie

Hi Folks,

I'm in the process of moving back to HE from Sixxs because the POP I was connected to had several extended outages (>4 days) recently and it became too much.

I was originally with HE a few years ago and at the time I was using the fremont POP (only one available at the time IIRC) but it suffered reliability issues (and latency was large). My ping times to nyc4 are real good (much better than fremont).

My question is this. Before I go the effort of renumbering everything, I'd like to have some idea of the historical "uptime" status of the servers so I could at least pick one that has performed well (or, barring that, not be surprised).

So, are these stats kept around anywhere?

thanks to all,

-lee

broquea

The free tunnel broker service is provided as Best Effort. We do not have any published data on up-times, however we work hard to maintain the POPs. In some cases we have to rely on remote facilities and their staff to get work done, which is out of our hands, and generally not in walking distance for our own staff.

dilkie

Hi broquea,

Sure, I understand all that. You're no different than Sixxs in that regard and you have my gratitude for providing a free service. I enjoy my IPv6 efforts, all my servers are reachable through it and I use it as much as possible (to drive demand and therefore give my local ISPs some motive to consider deploying native).

I was just wondering if historical records were kept so one (me) could pick a server that has had good uptime in the past. I don't know if you've lived through a week long pop outage but it's pretty annoying and somewhat service affecting.

Anyway, if there are none, there are none... So a question... Is nyc4 fairly reliable? It's physically close (I'm in Ottawa, canada) and has the best ping times.

regards,

-lee

broquea

tserv4.nyc4 had a hiccup probably 2 weekends ago, that was resolved same day, otherwise it has been a long while since the last time it needed some remote hands to get it happy again.

brad

Quote from: dilkie on March 11, 2010, 02:46:31 PM
Sure, I understand all that. You're no different than Sixxs in that regard and you have my gratitude for providing a free service.

I can't say as I agree with that. After dealing with SixXs using a few POPs in both North America and Europe and then back to HE a second time for everything the difference is night and day. HE just has the resources and people on staff to work on this all the time as opposed to SixXs which is run by 2 people in their spare time and ISPs hosting the POPs and don't seem to have the resources for most to get basic things done. That's why a server breaking down results in a POP down for months on end.

Anyway, if there are none, there are none... So a question... Is nyc4 fairly reliable? It's physically close (I'm in Ottawa, canada) and has the best ping times.

The HE POPs over all are very reliable.

But seeing as you're from Ottawa, who is your ISP?

dilkie

Quote from: brad on March 11, 2010, 06:27:04 PM
Sure, I understand all that. You're no different than Sixxs in that regard and you have my gratitude for providing a free service.

I can't say as I agree with that. After dealing with SixXs using a few POPs in both North America and Europe and then back to HE a second time for everything the difference is night and day. HE just has the resources and people on staff to work on this all the time as opposed to SixXs which is run by 2 people in their spare time and ISPs hosting the POPs and don't seem to have the resources for most to get basic things done. That's why a server breaking down results in a POP down for months on end.

I was originally refering to the "best effort" concept but I see that HE provides more than I thought. My apologies.

The HE POPs over all are very reliable.

But seeing as you're from Ottawa, who is your ISP?

Xplornet. Wireless access due to my geographic location. I was happy with Storm, they knew what they were doing but Storm got driven out of Ottawa in favour of Xplornet. Storm could route my /24, Xplornet is not capable. But that is beside the point. I'm looking for IPv6 service that is at least as reliable as a wireless service and that is not asking a lot.

thanks for the input, it helps.

-lee

dilkie

wow, I messed up the quoting on the last... what a newb ;)

broquea

Quote from: dilkie on March 11, 2010, 07:30:53 PM
wow, I messed up the quoting on the last... what a newb ;)

Checking my records, you have not completed the NewB stage of the IPv6 Certification program. I believe you are aspiring to NewB status.

:)

dilkie

hehe. indeed I am just aspiring... Or perspiring... I'm on vacation in Florida right now and my system (biological) isn't used to this.

HE has changed a lot since I was here a few years ago...

bombcar

You could search the forum for references to your POP.

You could pick a POP in a place that HE has a physical presence.

You could get two tunnels and dual home things.

dilkie

Quote from: bombcar on March 11, 2010, 10:15:32 PM
You could get two tunnels and dual home things.

I tried setting up my network to dual home a few years ago and found that it didn't work as expected. The problem I found was that you need two v6 network prefixes, one for each tunnel, and there's no way to tell clients what prefix to perfer when a tunnel goes down at the router.

Unless you have another solution... I'm all eyes.

-lee