• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

News:

Welcome to Hurricane Electric's Tunnelbroker.net forums!

Main Menu

how to unblock ICMP?

Started by tjj70302, March 18, 2010, 08:09:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tjj70302

when i tried to setup the ipv6, i got the following messages:

Error: Your IPv4 endpoint is unreachable or unstable. Please make sure ICMP is not blocked. If you are blocking ICMP, please allow 66.220.2.74 through your firewall.

my computer is using NAT behind a ADSL router, the endpoint IPv4 is the ip address of the ADSL router. now comes the simple (i guess it's very noob) question:

how do i unblock the ICMP? i suppose i have to do something on the ADSL router rather than on my computer, right? can someone please explain this a little bit in detail to me?

thanks and best regards
JJ

ohosipsix

Quote from: tjj70302 on March 18, 2010, 08:09:02 PM
how do i unblock the ICMP? i suppose i have to do something on the ADSL router rather than on my computer, right? can someone please explain this a little bit in detail to me?

Correct, but how and even if this is possible, depends on exactly which ADSL-modem / router you are using

cholzhauer

Is there some sort of wireless router behind your DSL modem? If so, you'll need to make the change there.

tjj70302

my ADSL router is also the ADSL modem, and also the wireless router, the model is SMC, SMCWBR14S-N2.

after i login as admin, i see the menu like: SYSTEM, WAN, LAN, WIRELESS, NAT, ROUTING, FIREWALL, UPnP, DDNS, TOOLS, and STATUS. my best guess is the tweaking should be done in either ROUTING and/or FIREWALL. if you guys could shed some lights that would be great.

tjj70302

under the ROUTING menu, i got three sub-menus as Static Route, RIP, and Routing Table.

under the FIREWALL menu, i got six sub-menus as Access Control, MAC filter, URL blocking, Schedule Rule, intrusion Detection, and DMZ.

which one should i dive into?

chiel

Quote from: tjj70302 on March 19, 2010, 06:37:37 AM
my best guess is the tweaking should be done in either ROUTING and/or FIREWALL.

Or maybe WAN, just take a look at the different config options and look for "icmp" and/or "ping". I have worked with some SMC models before and they where not blocking ICMP by default.
What is your ISP? Maybe use Google to search if your ISP is blocking ICMP.

cholzhauer

Here's a link to your manual.

www.smc.com/files/AN/MN_SMCWBR14-N2.pdf

On page 51, it shows you how to "Enable WAN Ping Respond"

EDIT:

Hmm, I'm not sure your screen looks like that...for some reason, google ignored the "S" in the model number

EDIT #2:

Here's a link to the proper manual (I think)

http://www.smc.com/files/AC/MN_SMCWBR14S-N2.pdf

Check out page 4-56

tjj70302

it works now! many thanks to cholzhauer.

in fact, my router originally had no problem creating a tunnel, i guess this new setting must have come with the new firmware i upgraded several weeks ago.

hfhgh

It's been awhile since this thread was active, but the following may still be useful for those running into this problem.

On some Linksys/Cisco routers (and probably other brands as well), the option to unblock ICMP falls under "Filter Anonymous Internet Requests"

You need to uncheck this option in order to enable the ping response.  If you can't find an obvious ping enable/disable, your router may hide the option under a label similar to the one I describe in the above paragraph.

BinaryStream

for those not wanting to enable ICMP entirely and have tomato firmware (probably WRT as well) you can just add a firewall script:

Administration -> Scripts -> click Firewall and add the following line:

iptables -A INPUT -j ACCEPT -s 66.220.2.74 -p icmp

click save, router will reboot and you should now be able to have HE reach your computer.

aamkeri

I have a wireless connect throughout the house, and have connected the xbox to the router and ran the test, icmp error, so to figure out if it was the router (linksys wrt54g v.2) or cable modem i connected to the modem directly and received the same error, so im positive its the modem giving me the problems. Should i get a new modem, or connect my internet provider?

fiore

Quote from: tjj70302 on March 18, 2010, 08:09:02 PM
when i tried to setup the ipv6, i got the following messages:

Error: Your IPv4 endpoint is unreachable or unstable. Please make sure ICMP is not blocked. If you are blocking ICMP, please allow 66.220.2.74 through your firewall.

my computer is using NAT behind a ADSL router, the endpoint IPv4 is the ip address of the ADSL router. now comes the simple (i guess it's very noob) question:

thanks and best regards
JJ

fiore

Hi;

when  i try to create my tunnel  in linux i have  this message "IP is not ICMP pingable. Please make sure ICMP is not blocked. If you are blocking ICMP, please allow 66.220.2.74 through your firewall"
i stooped the firewall with these commands
# iptables -P INPUT ACCEPT
# iptables -P OUTPUT ACCEPT
# iptables -P FORWARD ACCEPT
# iptables -F
but  i have the same error
Also when i do the tunnel in Windowx XP SP3 i have a problem  when i try to test the ping6 so the is not working
please help me
Thank so much for you.

cholzhauer

Does turning off the firewall completely fix your issue?

fiore