• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

file sharing with ipv6 link-local address

Started by woosingwoo, August 05, 2010, 06:50:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woosingwoo

in ipv4 environment, using "\\ipv4 address" such as \\192.168.0.20 can be using to access shared file on the other host. What about ipv6 environment, what can be entered in ipv6 link-local address?

Thanks!

cholzhauer

If you can figure it out, you let me know

I've tried \\2001:db8:blah blah, I've tried \\[2001:db8:blah blah], but nothing works

woosingwoo

Quote from: cholzhauer on August 05, 2010, 06:58:07 PM
If you can figure it out, you let me know

I've tried \\2001:db8:blah blah, I've tried \\[2001:db8:blah blah], but nothing works

Yes, I did tried both before but they are not working at all. :-(

cholzhauer

I know it works via DNS, because if the server has a IPv6 address in DNS, and the host only has IPv6, I can connect to it.

woosingwoo

Quote from: cholzhauer on August 05, 2010, 07:08:20 PM
I know it works via DNS, because if the server has a IPv6 address in DNS, and the host only has IPv6, I can connect to it.
Would you please explain a bit more? Did you try and it works for you? On your example, they look like a global addresses, what about if the ipv6 is a link-local address, such as "fe80::+EUI"? Thanks!

jimb

I sort of remember that MS had some hack in windows where a special domain could be used to represent an IPv6 address but I can't remember what it is.  Basically, IIRC, it's translates the specific domain into an IPv6 address without looking it up, etc, so you can use it in situations which aren't compatible with literal IPv6 addresses.

AHA!  I found it:

Quote from: wiki (click for article)Literal IPv6 addresses in UNC path names

In Microsoft Windows operating systems, IP addresses are also allowed in Uniform Naming Convention (UNC) path names. Since the colon is an illegal character in a UNC path name, the use of IPv6 addresses is also illegal in UNC names. For this reason, Microsoft has registered a second-level Internet domain, ipv6-literal.net, as a means to facilitate symbolic substitution. IPv6 addresses may be transcribed in the following fashion:

2001:0db8:85a3:08d3:1319:8a2e:0370:7348

is written as

2001-db8-85a3-8d3-1319-8a2e-370-7348.ipv6-literal.net

This notation is automatically resolved by Microsoft software without DNS queries to any name servers. If the IPv6 address contains a zone index, it is appended to the address portion after an 's' character:

fe80--1s4.ipv6-literal.net

Let me know if it woikz.

cholzhauer

I'll have to give that a try too.

And to answer your question, I have never tried the link local address, never had a reason too... But according to Jim, it wouldn't have worked anyway without that change

woosingwoo

Hi Jimb,

Double check with Microsoft TechNet, it stats exactly what you have found. But for some reasons, the "\\2001-db8-28-3-f98a-5b31-67b7-67ef.ipv6-literal.net\" or "\\fe80--218-8bff-fe17-a226s4.ipv6-literal.net" UNC paths will never work between my two Windows 7 machines.  :-[

Cholzhauer,
Does it work for you?

Thanks!

cholzhauer

i wasnt in the office today, so i was unable to test.  ill have to try monday and let you know

cholzhauer

Nope, doesn't work for me with global addresses either.

woosingwoo

any more effective ways to share files between two ipv6-only Windows box?

cholzhauer

DNS works fine for this...if hosta has an IPv6 address and hostb has an ipv6 address and both of those have addresses in DNS, file sharing will work.

snarked

ipv6-literal.net:  Yet another "Micro$oftism" to add to the global killfile.  ;)

Note also that it can't be resolved under IPv6!