• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

Not IPv6 related, Cable internet/slow speeds/slow response

Started by UltraZero, March 11, 2011, 12:23:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UltraZero

Anyone experience slow speeds with a router connected to cable internet and
slow responses.  Web pages not completely redrawing?

Any tips. 

I change my MTU size down from 1500 to about 1000 (just testing) and the response time
and web page redrawing works great,but, speeds are even slower.  Bumped to about 1200, then
1250 and speeds are coming up, from 3 meg to about 6 meg on a 12 meg connection. 

Any ideas.

If I plug a laptop directly to the modem, I can get about 21meg at speedtest.net

file downloads are about 400kbps  (hope I got that right)

UltraZero

Well. after digging and digging.  (Man.. there is a lot of data on Ciscos website)
  I found a chart for all the current routers, Mbps transfer rates, PPS Process swtiching and fast swtiching.

Anyway.  Found it. 

2621 is rated at 7.68 mbps.  Fast Swtiching only.  No NAT or DHCP.
2621XM is rated higher, but still, NAT and DHCP come into play.

Hmm.  Anyone want to donate a 2821 to a test lab???    ;D ;D ;D

antillie

You might try getting yourself a 3725 or a 3745 from Ebay. The 3745 is rated for 100 mbps speeds. And although they can't run IOS 15 they are much cheaper than a 2800 series due to their age.

UltraZero

Actually, I have been thinking about that since I got into this problem.  Interesting to see my network connection top out at 8 mbps when I know it can go well beyond that.

Anyway.

I have a question for you.  How are you performing routing on the Pix with regards to either OSPF, EIGRP or RIP.  I can't seem to get ipv6 to work though the darn thing.  I can ping anywhere on my net except through s the Pix.  I can ping from the Pix out to the net and I can ping from the Pix to my nets.  Sounds like an IPv6 access list issue or lack there off.  What version of the GUI allows viewing of IPv6 items.  I use the GUI to print my configs,but, most of my configs are from the CLI.

cholzhauer

I know antillie and others say the PIX will do IPv6, but this is precisely the same problem I had...the PIX wouldn't send Ipv6 traffic to different subnets.

I don't think the PIX will do OSPF, EIGRP, or RIP (I could be wrong, but I don't think so)

antillie

The PIX and ASA can only use static routes in IPv6. You will need to add a static route for every IPv6 subnet you would like the PIX to route traffic to.

UltraZero

Well, does this mean I have to create a manual route for each subnet if 1 of the interfaces has 10 subnets behind it??  Also, are we talking only 1 route out and many in.   correct??

I can't seem to get data to pass out with a static route  ::/0 to next hop. 

I guess the return is the problem??

funny, I can ping the tunnel from the firewall, but, no pinging from anything behind it.

With regards to the ASA 5505 or 5510, does this mean the problem still exist??

If not, what is the current operating system that allows routing..

Thanks

UltraZero

Hmm.  The other thing is when I try to create routes, the Pix responds by saying the connected route already exists. 

This is when I am trying to manually create a route from the pix to another router. 

cholzhauer

If the interface has an IPv6 address, you don't need to set up a route to it.

EX, if Interface1 is 2001:db8:1234:1::1/64 and Interface2 is 2001:db8:1234:2::1/64, you don't need to set up a route behind them.

But, if 2001:db8:1234:3::/64 is located behind interface2, you would need to route to it

UltraZero

router 1-------(inside)firewall--------router 2--------internet
                                  |
                                  |
                                DMZ

Router 1 to firewall (ipv6 route ::/0 (Next hop)
Firewall to router 2 (ipv6 route ::/0 (next hop)
router 2 to internet (ipv6 route ::/0 (tunnel0)

ping ipv6 from router 2 to internet works
ping ipv6 from firewall to internet works
ping from router1 or DMZ to internet, no go.

if from router 2 sho route, all networks are visible including items on the pix.
protocols are eigrp and ospf, but, I don't recall any specific protocol support for the pix other than rip ipv6.

UltraZero

I have a question.  if the router behind and in front of the firewall are using OSPF or EIGRP for IPv6, then can I use RIP ipv6 as a source of routing information??  This way I won't have to manually setup routes??

Currently, IPv4 finally works great, But, no IPv6. IPv6 works behind the firewall, but, not through it.

Antillie, I  looked at your configuration you posted some time ago and unless I am not seeing it right, I don't see any routing protocols.  In a non home situation, would I have to create a manual route for each
subnet located behind the router and are these routes should be put on the router closest to the internet??

example iv6 route (destination)/64  (next hop)?
or ipv6 route (source)(interface)(local link address)

I see you are routing on the router  to the link local address.  Is there a reason as apposed to routing to the static Ipv6 address??

Also, I tried using the link local address and I got this error message.
Not allowed to point static routes through yourself

So, I"m still trying to figure this puppy out.