• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

Sugestion to HE: allow users to publish LOC for tunnel end point

Started by sttun, March 16, 2011, 12:18:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sttun

Hello
Why not let us users publish LOC records for our end of the tummel?
This wold help people trying to map  the ipv6 internet.
It wold probably not be hard to implement, a few input fields ion the tunnel details page and an nsupdate (ref: bind)

Have a nice Day
Bjarne Nilsson

Notes
To mods: if this is the wrong place please move topic to appropriate, was unshore about where to put it.

General: If this should go to ipv6@he.net tell me so (once is enugh), but I wold still like to see input from the forum.

snarked

OK.  Note that for the routed subnet, this is already permitted (since DNS delegation is permitted and one can write their own zone file).

sttun

Quote from: snarked on March 16, 2011, 12:31:53 PM
OK.  Note that for the routed subnet, this is already permitted (since DNS delegation is permitted and one can write their own zone file).
Hello
Yes I am aware of that but usually (unless users hav multiple layers of routers at the site) the tunnel endpoint is the last common address the is shown on traceroutes, and since far from all dns hosts support wildcard records, it is a matter of convenience. Yes we are able to add loc records for every host, but this is a bit of a hassle.  @

Have a nice day
Bjarne Nilsson

snarked

In my traceroutes, the tunnel endpoint address is not shown (unless it is the actual address being traced).  What shows is the routed address (from my routed /48 or /64).  However, I do note certain network constructs where the tunnel itself can show up.  Therefore, shouldn't your request also ask that HE publish LOC records for their tunnel servers?

One doesn't have to add a LOC record for every host.  Adding it at he top of the zone should be sufficient per RFC 1876's network search method in Section 5.2.  Where it says "A record", that really means any type of address record - "AAAA" included.  For IPv6, the starting point should be at the /64 cut.  After each level's search is exhausted, pop off a nybble (4 bits) label and try again (IPv4 pops off a byte-wide label); stop at /12.  Obviously, special addresses in ::/127 and FC00::/6 should not be searched, and IPv4-encoded IPv6 addresses (::FFFF:0.0.0.0/96 and 2002::/16) should have their searches on the IPv4 address intstead.

Some people will store a LOC record at the (forward) domain top instead of at each host, especially when all hosts are at a single location.  When starting with a name-based search, popping off domain label elements until an SOA-possessing label is found may also yield a label with a valid LOC record.  This is beyond the search algorithm in RFC 1876.

broquea

Airport/City codes are generally used for the POPs (like LAX for Airport and NYC for City for example). It is location enough on the ptp rdns entries. LOC tags may be supported in the future, but aren't right now.

sttun

Hello
Well it seems I should have tried a couple of things before posting all I had to do was ta add an address from my /48 to the tunnel interface.
Sorry for wasting everyone's time   :).

All the best
Bjarne Nilsson