• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

[ask] making your own tunnel broker server in an isolated network

Started by dudastt, October 01, 2011, 04:40:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dudastt

hi everyone..  :)

iam a college student and i am currently having a trouble in my research
my research is about making a private tunnel broker in an isolated network,"isolated network" means that the network topology is not connected to any outside network

maybe this pic will describe it better

the client and the streaming/server is gonna have an ipv6 address and the routers will be in ipv4
the routers represents ipv4 network as in real ipv4 cloud
and everytime the client wants to connect to server,he has to contact tunnel broker and tunnel broker will create a tunnel through the ipv4 cloud

just like a usual tunnel broker,but this one is gonna be used in an isolated network like the picture

i've googled some stuff about this, but i can't find a good and clear tutorial
so,any of you guys can show me how to make this tunnel broker?thx before..

ps:sorry if my english is not so good,i'm not a native english speaker

jimb

• Establish separate IPv6 and IPv4 networks on both sides.  Assign IPv6 and IPv4 addresses to all hosts on each side.
  • Establish a 6in4 tunnel between the streaming server and tunnel server using a separate IPv6 /64 for the tunnel end points.
  • Establish routes through the tunnel on each side pointing to the appropriate IPv6 network.
  • ???
  • Profit!

dudastt

Quote from: jimb on October 01, 2011, 05:20:52 AM

• Establish separate IPv6 and IPv4 networks on both sides.  Assign IPv6 and IPv4 addresses to all hosts on each side.
  • Establish a 6in4 tunnel between the streaming server and tunnel server using a separate IPv6 /64 for the tunnel end points.
  • Establish routes through the tunnel on each side pointing to the appropriate IPv6 network.
  • ???
  • Profit!
thanks for your explanation
but one of my friend told me openvpn woul'd be a right tool
is it true?can you show me a tutorial about it?

antillie

OpenVPN is for making secure VPN tunnels across an untrusted network. If all you want is basic IPv6 connectivity across an IPv4 network then a VPN is not needed. VPNs are only needed if you need to secure your traffic against eavesdropping by a 3rd party.

Since you are talking about a lab environment with no connection to the outside world a simple 6in4 tunnel should be all you need. Encrypted VPN tunnels are a totally different ballgame.