• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

eBay no longer single-homed for IPv6

Started by broquea, January 11, 2012, 12:26:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

broquea

Looks like eBay finally picked up a second IPv6 transit (Tinet, AS3257), and now everyone can buy crap over IPv6 ;)
http://ipv6.ebay.com

kasperd

But they still have no AAAA record on their primary domain.

cholzhauer

My guess is they won't...I just hope they don't resort to whitelisting like Google

kasperd

Quote from: cholzhauer on January 11, 2012, 05:40:49 AMI just hope they don't resort to whitelisting like Google
I don't think anybody wants to keep doing that sort of whitelisting forever. It wouldn't surprise me to soon see an announcement from Google stating that they have decided on a date to end whitelisting and provide AAAA records to everybody. OTOH one way to put an end to whitelisting would be to only apply whitelisting to recursive resolvers that query the authoritative DNS servers over IPv4 and provide AAAA records to all that query over IPv6. Such an approach would be slightly problematic for Google since they don't have IPv6 support on their authoritative DNS servers, they don't have IPv6 support on their recursive resolvers either.

Apart from Google and Facebook is there any major site that uses whitelisting to decide who gets AAAA records? Is there actually any major site that provides AAAA records to all resolvers?

cholzhauer

Apart from Google and Facebook is there any major site that uses whitelisting to decide who gets AAAA records? Is there actually any major site that provides AAAA records to all resolvers?

Not that I'm aware of.  I only stumbled across Facebook white-listing because of an email that came across one of the IPv6 lists; they definitely don't market it like Google does.

kasperd

Quote from: cholzhauer on January 11, 2012, 07:17:24 AMI only stumbled across Facebook white-listing because of an email that came across one of the IPv6 lists; they definitely don't market it like Google does.
Makes sense. Last I checked facebook wasn't fully functional if you only had IPv6 access. If you had dual stack and were using a resolver on the whitelist, some of the traffic would indeed go over IPv6, but there would still be some left on IPv4 and without that it didn't work. I don't know if that is still the case.

maestroevolution

FWIW, Facebook is fully functional for IPv6 only clients with NAT64 if any IPv4 hosts/URLS are referenced.

My home computer and wife's laptop are IPv6 only (on Wifi, too!) , although she doesn't know it.   ;D

I haven't checked firewall logs to see if are any NAT64 connections while going through the plethora of facebook apps.

Joel

snarked

Buying IPv4-only equipment over http://ipv6.ebay.com. 

kasperd

Quote from: kasperd on January 11, 2012, 07:02:07 AMIt wouldn't surprise me to soon see an announcement from Google stating that they have decided on a date to end whitelisting and provide AAAA records to everybody.
Looks like the 6th of June is going to be the end of the whitelist: http://www.tunnelbroker.net/forums/index.php?topic=2234.0

I'm not surprised at all. Even the date 6th of June is just about the least surprising date they could have chosen.