• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

Netflix not accessible anymore?

Started by xero9, April 08, 2012, 05:19:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xero9

I've read that Netflix has been accessible over IPv6 for a while now, however it never works for me.  I am relatively new to the IPv6 world, but I've been trying to access it for about 2 weeks now maybe, and just doesn't work.

I may be missing something though as others seem to be accessing YouTube and what not through IPv6 as well, while I can only access it by an IPv4 address.

broquea

I haven't seen it stream over IPv6 since Dave Temkin left for a short bit, and has now since returned. They moved to Amazon or something away from LLNW, which had no IPv6 access. Maybe now that he is back, they'll get that going again.

cholzhauer

As for youtube, you'll need to run your dns queries through HE or another server that has google addresses white listed

xero9

Ah that stinks with Netflix!  Guess I will have to keep waiting.  At least I know it's not just me.

And thanks for the info about YouTube.  It's give me a bit of insight.  Something interesting I've found out..  As someone who uses Google's DNS servers for two reasons (highly reliable, and super easy to remember the address!), I don't exactly want to switch to HE's.  I did discover something though..  Their IPv4 DNS doesn't return IPv6 addresses for YouTube, but their IPv6 DNS does!

Sadly, my computer seems to be preferring IPv4 over IPv6 though.  Maybe I will try turning off IPv4 entirely and see what happens.

Thanks for your help guys!

kasperd

Quote from: xero9 on April 08, 2012, 07:07:57 PMAnd thanks for the info about YouTube.  It's give me a bit of insight.
What cholzhauer told you is correct for now. However at the beginning of the year it was announced that this is going to change on the 6th of June. Starting that day they will return AAAA records to everybody regardless of which DNS server they are using.

Quote from: xero9 on April 08, 2012, 07:07:57 PMSomething interesting I've found out..  As someone who uses Google's DNS servers for two reasons (highly reliable, and super easy to remember the address!), I don't exactly want to switch to HE's.  I did discover something though..  Their IPv4 DNS doesn't return IPv6 addresses for YouTube, but their IPv6 DNS does!
Interesting. I never noticed that. I am wondering if that is a recent change. Google Public DNS only recently got support for querying authoritative DNS servers over IPv6, maybe the behaviour that you mention was introduced at the same time.

I verified that I see the same behaviour that you mentioned when doing lookups of google.com. I noticed something else. You only get AAAA replies for google.com if you send the query using a native IPv6 address. If the DNS server get the AAAA request from a 6to4 or Teredo address, it will not return any AAAA records.

Quote from: xero9 on April 08, 2012, 07:07:57 PMSadly, my computer seems to be preferring IPv4 over IPv6 though.
There are many possible reasons why that may happen. It may depend on the type of addresses. Some browsers and operating systems will treat 6to4 addresses differently from native addresses. Unfortunately many of them don't have sensible behaviour in the presence of Teredo addresses. Teredo is so unreliable it should only be used as the last resort, but some will actually prefer Teredo over 6to4.

I have a test page on http://netiter.dk/test-ipv6, which will show the order of preference for your particular OS/browser combination. Unfortunately the test is only in Danish at this time, but the table on the page should be understandable anyhow.

Notice that some browsers will not just consider the addresses, but will adapt behaviour according to performance and reliability of the different connections. Thus with such a browser the results may appear inconsistent, and it may look like IPv4 is preferred because it happens to be working better on your  particular setup.

brad

Quote from: broquea on April 08, 2012, 06:30:07 PM
I haven't seen it stream over IPv6 since Dave Temkin left for a short bit, and has now since returned. They moved to Amazon or something away from LLNW, which had no IPv6 access. Maybe now that he is back, they'll get that going again.

They moved away from running their DC and backend systems to using AWS. They had also moved away from using Akamai as a primary CDN to Level3 as well as their other existing CDN LLNW.