• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

Completely and utterly lost

Started by Tymanthius, April 15, 2012, 07:25:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tymanthius

It's been quite a while since I was this lost.  But at least I'll learn something from it.

Ok, so I have a Zentyal 2.2/Ubuntu 10.04 machine acting as my router/server at home.  It's running IPv6, I can pass the first few tests.  But I'm stuck hard at enthusiast.

I've registered a domain at register4less.com (r4l).  I like them, they support userfriendly.com  :D  And they say they support glueing stuff, which I don't understand, but read about and it seems important.

Although my server at home is running a webserver, I have NO idea how to aim my r4l domain at it.  I looked at the dns zones options on r4l, and got really confused.  So, if someone could help me out using small words and ideas, that would be awesome.

Thanks so much!

broquea

Create a AAAA record for your domain and point it to the IPv6 address you configured for your webserver.

Tymanthius

Quote from: broquea on April 15, 2012, 11:18:36 PM
Create a AAAA record for your domain and point it to the IPv6 address you configured for your webserver.

I kind of understand this, but I don't know how.  But I'll go look at the help section of r4l and see what I can find.

kasperd

Quote from: Tymanthius on April 15, 2012, 11:21:51 PM

I kind of understand this, but I don't know how.
Creating a AAAA record should be just the same as creating an A record. Only difference is you'll probably find a select box with a few different options of the type of record, and it may very well default to A such that you don't have to touch it when creating an A record, but you do have to change it to create a AAAA record.

Tymanthius

Quote from: kasperd on April 16, 2012, 12:15:53 AM
Quote from: Tymanthius on April 15, 2012, 11:21:51 PM

I kind of understand this, but I don't know how.
Creating a AAAA record should be just the same as creating an A record. Only difference is you'll probably find a select box with a few different options of the type of record, and it may very well default to A such that you don't have to touch it when creating an A record, but you do have to change it to create a AAAA record.

Thank you for the reply.  

Your answer assumes a level of knowledge I don't have yet. I've never set an A record.  I see the options & fields, but I don't know what they are asking for.

There is a table, and the A record area looks like this:

name     ttl     ip address
@           3H    Type In your IP
mail         3H   Type in your IP
localhost 3H    127.0.0.1

And the AAAA fields are blank.

If I understand things correctly, I should put my ipv4 address in the A fields and my IPv6 in the AAAA fields.  Do I use the same names?

kasperd

Quote from: Tymanthius on April 16, 2012, 10:08:01 AMThere is a table, and the A record area looks like this:

name     ttl     ip address
@           3H    Type In your IP
mail         3H   Type in your IP
localhost 3H    127.0.0.1

And the AAAA fields are blank.
Sounds like a very strange UI. Perhaps posting a screenshot of their UI may help understanding what they have in mind.

Quote from: Tymanthius on April 16, 2012, 10:08:01 AMIf I understand things correctly, I should put my ipv4 address in the A fields and my IPv6 in the AAAA fields.
Sounds about right.

Quote from: Tymanthius on April 16, 2012, 10:08:01 AMDo I use the same names?
Yes, I think using the same names is the proper choice in your case.

Many sites have used different names because they had an IPv4 only production site, and then created a new name for testing IPv6 support. But since it sounds like you don't have a production site under this domain, you may as well go dual stack right away, which means A and AAAA records for the same name.

Tymanthius

Yes, my site is stictly home use.  I'm doing this b/c I want to know, not for any business.  Ok, I'll see what I can get done.  I'm also fighting some wierd issues with my home network right now.

Apparently my laptop  pulls dns just fine when connected to the wireless AP (a linksys wrt120n router w/ routing turned off), but can't get dns resolution when I connect it via wire.  Very strange.  But my logitech revue (an android powered google tv box) resolves dns just fine.  Although it doesn't have IPv6 connectivity. 

Anywho, I'm still learning, and I'm sure I'll get it figured out eventually.

Tymanthius

Ohhhhh yay!!!  I got it.

Now to set up emails.  :D