• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

Turning domains into IPv6-only with NAT64

Started by kasperd, September 13, 2012, 07:54:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kasperd

Quote from: snarked on September 17, 2012, 06:42:10 PMWhy not permanently remove the A record and manually put in its AAAA equivalent?
It's a recursive resolver. It is not authoritative for any domains.

snarked

If your DNS server is not the authorative server for the zone in question, then content filtering is available to you as a solution since you're obviously querying some other server to get the information.

kasperd

Quote from: snarked on September 18, 2012, 11:31:55 AMcontent filtering is available to you as a solution
I tested that already. When it is combined with DNS64, it doesn't do what I need. The content filtering is applied before DNS64, so if I remove all A records with content filtering, then there are no records for DNS64 to translate.

snarked

Then if you're transforming all A records, you don't need to remove them from answers you receive, correct?

kasperd

Quote from: snarked on September 19, 2012, 11:11:28 AMThen if you're transforming all A records, you don't need to remove them from answers you receive, correct?
I want to remove them from answers I send to my clients. I have some clients that would use IPv4 by default. I want to offer them a DNS server, they can use to avoid that.

That recursive DNS server is under my control. The authoritative DNS servers and the clients are not.