• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

News:

Welcome to Hurricane Electric's Tunnelbroker.net forums!

Main Menu

rdns stuff

Started by jtnjon, March 15, 2013, 03:12:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jtnjon

Hi.
I'm trying to get my head around dns stuff .
I've moved a couple of domains to a provider which supports ipv6. Do I now change the rdns entries in my tunnel  config to the providers nameservers?

Cheers, Jon

kasperd

Quote from: jtnjon on March 15, 2013, 03:12:58 PMI've moved a couple of domains to a provider which supports ipv6. Do I now change the rdns entries in my tunnel  config to the providers nameservers?
If they are pointing at the HE nameservers now, then you don't have to change them, they'll keep working just the same.

You can also change them to point at the new provider. But that will only work if you actually have an agreement with that provider about hosting those reverse zones.

jtnjon

Hi.

I'm using the hosting services ns for my domains but I still have the rdns set to HE in the tunnel config. I have set up a subdomain in the providers dns management tool which only has AAAA records and points to my home server. This so far seems to work correctly apart from rdns.

Right, I've just re read your reply. I need to clear it with my provider about putting their nameservers in the rdns section on my tunnel config?

Sorry to be thick about this but the more I go in to it the more I see I have to learn and I'm starting to get mushy brain about the whole lot :-)

Cheers, Jon

kasperd

Quote from: jtnjon on March 15, 2013, 04:32:14 PMI need to clear it with my provider about putting their nameservers in the rdns section on my tunnel config?
Yes.

Quote from: jtnjon on March 15, 2013, 04:32:14 PMthe more I see I have to learn
Tell us what the domain and IP address is, and we can tell you how far the resolution goes, and where you need to work next to make progress.

jtnjon

Hi.

I've been going through this forum most of the day and a few things are starting to make more sense but just as much stuff not making sense:-)

I have created a sub domain ipv6.jtn.org.uk which has AAAA record pointing to my server on 2001:470:1f09:697::1

Thanks for your help, I can always use another domain and use HE free dns service which might be simpler but either way I'd like to see how this domain goes first.

Jon

kasperd

Quote from: jtnjon on March 16, 2013, 07:55:29 AMI have created a sub domain ipv6.jtn.org.uk which has AAAA record pointing to my server on 2001:470:1f09:697::1
Your forward DNS is working. But there are two details you should be aware of. Resolving the domain requires a few more requests to authoritative DNS servers than a typical domain due to using NS records in a different domain which have to be resolved separately, and those records themselves rely on NS records in a third domain. Additionally the DNS servers are IPv4 only. That of course doesn't stop them handing out the IPv6 address of your server.

When doing reverse DNS the resolution ends at the HE DNS servers, which respond with NXDOMAIN. I tested that step withdig +norecurse -x 2001:470:1f09:697::1 @NS1.HE.NET.

The DNS servers used for your forward records don't consider themselves to be authoritative for the reverse zone. When I try to send a reverse lookup to them, they refer me back to the root. I tested that step withdig +norecurse -x 2001:470:1f09:697::1 @79.170.40.2

Quote from: jtnjon on March 16, 2013, 07:55:29 AMThanks for your help, I can always use another domain and use HE free dns service which might be simpler but either way I'd like to see how this domain goes first.
You don't need to use a different domain in order to use HE for the reverse lookups. All you have to do is to go to the HE DNS configuration and enter the reverse records. It doesn't get simpler than that.

You can also go with another DNS provider (which could be the one you use for forward DNS or a third provider). In that case you first have to register the reverse zone with that provider, then create a reverse record on their DNS server and also go to the tunnelbroker configuration page and point reverse DNS at the provider you chose.

jtnjon

Thanks a lot kasperd. I'll have a look at getting that working. When picking the hosting provider I obviously didn't ask enough questions about their dns setup. I thought that servicing AAAA queries would be enough.

Thanks again, Jon

jtnjon

Haha,as you said, simple.

Cheers, Jon