• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

News:

Welcome to Hurricane Electric's Tunnelbroker.net forums!

Main Menu

tunnel to router...

Started by nuhkka, April 02, 2013, 06:21:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nuhkka

anybody know how to make my tunnerl work through my router not windows?

http://support.dlink.com/Emulators/dir657/100/adv_ipv6_autoconfig.html

can anybody figure out what settings and tunnel info i have to put?

brontide

I can't give you exact steps, but I would start with "My IPv6 Connection is : ipv6 in ipv4 tunnel" and then try to map the tunnel information from HE to those four boxes.  

cholzhauer

Right, use the ipv6 in ipv4 tunnel and just fill in the appropriate IP information

nuhkka

already tried and it says no ipv6 connectivity on windows connection status, also i can't ping any ipv6 routers...

also on the "Local IPv4 Address" It won't let me put in the 192.168.x.x router address, it automatically inputs my internet IP address and won't let me change it

broquea

Is your router's address actually in rfc1918 space or is it's wan interface the 173.x.x.x ip? It needs to be that 173.x.x.x IP for the tunnel to work on the router.

If the router's IP is in 192.168.x.x, then yeah that is why it fails, you're double-natted somehow.

kasperd

Quote from: nuhkka on April 02, 2013, 10:37:29 AMalready tried and it says no ipv6 connectivity on windows connection status
There is no obvious mistakes in your configuration. I do wonder about the DHCP-PD settings, I think you want to disable that. But that shouldn't be causing you such problems.

I tried traceroute to both IPv6 addresses on your router, but they only make it to the tunnel server and not to the router. You should test that yourself as well. go to any website, which can run an IPv6 traceroute, and type in the IPv6 address of the router. You can for examle use lg.he.net.

As long as you cannot traceroute to the router it looks like an issue with the tunnel itself and not the LAN configuration. So what hosts on the LAN tell you about connectivity is not very useful.

Quote from: nuhkka on April 02, 2013, 10:37:29 AMalso on the "Local IPv4 Address" It won't let me put in the 192.168.x.x router address, it automatically inputs my internet IP address and won't let me change it
What does the IPv4 configuration look like on the WAN and LAN sides of the router?

nuhkka

well the router's ip was 192.168.0.1 ... my internet ip was that 173.x.x.x, my desktop dhcp to the router was 192.168.0.101

anyhow i've gotten rid of that router because of dropped wifi..

however, i did get that router to see if i could have ipv6 connectivity 100% of the time.. it does say it's ipv6 compatible, but that's assuming my isp provides ipv6, which i found that it didn't :( (not all the time)

what i mean 100% of the time is that i CAN sometimes get an ipv6 connection, but it just RANDOMLY works.. and by randomly, i do mean it! and this is with an older non-ipv6 compatible netgear router .. and it also worked randomly with this d-link router i mentioned previously..

what happens is that I CAN ping the google ipv6 address SOME TIMES, but not all the time.. right now i can:

this is on a laptop running 32bit win8 pro... however, 2 hours from now, or even 20 minutes, the ability to ping google ipv6 will go away,then it might come back, who knows...

also, right now i could turn on my desktop running windows 7 64bit, try to ping the google servers, and it won't work yet it's working on my laptop...

then sometimes ipv6 will work on my desktop and not on my laptop..

sometimes it could be working on both at the same time, and sometimes on neither lol

also on the internet status on windows, on ipv6 it will always say "No Internet Access" even though it'll be working some times

sometimes i could try pinging ipv6 google, it won't work, then i restart my pc, and it will work..

im not using any tunnels or anything either, just a stock windows 7/8 OS ...

anyone know why this happens?

kasperd

Quote from: nuhkka on April 08, 2013, 10:19:46 AMwhat i mean 100% of the time is that i CAN sometimes get an ipv6 connection, but it just RANDOMLY works.. and by randomly, i do mean it! and this is with an older non-ipv6 compatible netgear router .. and it also worked randomly with this d-link router i mentioned previously..
It doesn't sound like you are using native IPv6 from your ISP. It sounds like you are using an unreliable auto-tunnel protocol such as 6to4 or Teredo.

Try testing your connectivity using a test site like Jason Fesler's test on test-ipv6.com or mine on test-ipv6.netiter.dk. That should tell you what sort of connectivity, you are using.

nuhkka

yeah you're right it's "teredo"

is there a way to save my current teredo settings or something? as long as i can go that ipv6 google(direct IP's?) ping thing to work, i'm fine

kasperd

Quote from: nuhkka on April 08, 2013, 11:21:18 AMis there a way to save my current teredo settings or something?
The Teredo settings consists of little more than a hostname of the server to use. And the settings are not going to change behind your back. But Teredo should only be used as a last resort, when there is no other way to get IPv6 connectivity. There are some corner cases, where Teredo can work great. But for most usages, it is a bad choice.

Quote from: nuhkka on April 08, 2013, 11:21:18 AMas long as i can go that ipv6 google(direct IP's?) ping thing to work, i'm fine
Google doesn't have their own Teredo servers. They are actually using HE for Teredo. I am not sure if there is some sort of agreement, or if Google is simply relying on public Teredo relays, which HE happens to be a provider of.

This means if you use a Teredo client and and you try to ping any Google IPv6 address, your traffic will go through the HE Teredo relays. Judging from the packet loss, those relays are often overloaded with more traffic than they can handle.

plugwash

Also worth noting is that windows will disable teredo by default if it thinks it can see a domain controller. Afaict sometimes linux boxes running samba can make windows think it can see a domain controller.

You can avoid this behaviour by changing the teredo mode from "client" to "enterpriseclient" by using the command "netsh interface teredo set state enterpriseclient"