• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

News:

Welcome to Hurricane Electric's Tunnelbroker.net forums!

Main Menu

Netgear MBR1515

Started by mtcstle, May 17, 2013, 06:16:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mtcstle

I've got a brand new Netgear MBR1515 cellular 4G LTE router. It has a section for configuring IPv6 but I have had no luck making it work. Does anyone know anything about this device and how to configure it for TunnelBroker?
Regards

kasperd

Why reduce the number of people who could help you, by limiting it to those who have tried that exact device? If you attach a screenshot of the configuration page to this thread, you'd have a better chance of getting some useful replies.

mtcstle

OK Good point. The panel of most interest seems to be this one, see Capture.PNG, attached. The "Router's IP on LAN" appears to be a legitimate address but it's nothing like the address of the tunnel I was assigned. In navigating to this point, I didn't provide any self identifying informational so I can't imagine HE could know what tunnel to associate me with. Has anyone seen this sort of config screen or any knowledge of how to get under the covers of this interface, to the actual OS. It's reported to be Linux but I don't know if it has a CLI or how to access it. 'Tis a puzzlement.
Regards
mtcstle

kasperd

You have chosen the wrong type of tunnel. HE is using 6in4, you configured your router with 6to4. What are the other options in that dropdown menu?

mtcstle

Options are:
Disabled
Autodetect
6to4
Passthrough
Fixed
DHCP
PPPoE
AutoConfig

Regards
mtcstle

kasperd

Quote from: mtcstle on May 18, 2013, 12:09:23 PM
Options are:
Disabled
Autodetect
6to4
Passthrough
Fixed
DHCP
PPPoE
AutoConfig
None of them sound promising. But I am not sure what all of them mean, so maybe something useful is hidden on one of them. You could post a screenshot of the configuration page for each of them, so we can see if there is anything useful.

mtcstle

Here are the first four options' configuration pages. I'll sne the remaining 7 in my next message.
Thanks for looking. Someone said I should be using 6in4 vice 6to4. 'ring any bell's?

mtcstle

Here are the remaining three configuration screens. The previous four are in my last mesage.

kasperd

Quote from: mtcstle on May 19, 2013, 03:21:21 PMSomeone said I should be using 6in4 vice 6to4.
I know how 6in4 works, and I know how 6to4 works. Of those two, I recommend 6in4, because it is more reliable. But a setup with both and choosing between the two intelligently, would be even more reliable.

Using 6to4 alone with no other IPv6 connectivity will work reliable as long as both endpoints are using 6to4 and has it configured correctly. As soon as a 6to4 user is communicating with somebody using native IPv6, it will be unreliable. So using 6to4 alone really can't be recommended.

Unfortunately your router appears to not have any decent tunnelling support. Those screenshots you posted shows no support for anything other than 6to4. That means you are not going to have that router use HE or any other tunnel broker unless you replace the firmware.

You can configure it with 6to4, but in that case you need to switch the relay router setting back to auto (which is equivalent to static address 192.88.99.1). In that configuration you will only get a good experience if your software (browser etc.) can fall back to IPv4 in a split second, if IPv6 is slow or broken. And yes, it literally has to fall back in a split second. If it takes a full second to fall back, the Internet connection will feel very slow at some sites.

I have a test page, that you can try to see how your 6to4 connectivity is working: http://ipv4.test-ipv6.netiter.dk/ (Sorry I haven't gotten around to translate it to English yet, but observing how many of the tiles in the picture loads give a very visual indication of the connectivity.)

mtcstle

I've been struggling with 6to4 all afternoon. I've got it to where the LAN side of the router gets a prefix, from somewhere, 2002:xxx:xxxx:e472, and passes it on to peers on the LAN. They can ping each other on their IPv6 addresses but as yet, i have not been able to ping an IPv6 address on the internet. I'll have a look at your test page, maybe it will spark a thought. Thanks for the information.
John