• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

tserv1.fra1.he.net is completely down, not even any bgp or ordns

Started by cnst, June 12, 2013, 03:52:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cnst

Almost an hour as tserv1.fra1.he.net is down.  I got my "301 sec" IRC disconnect at 14:57 PT, so, I guess the tunnel has been down since ~14:52 PT or so.

Called the 510 number, was told someone's on the ground in FRA1 for "schedulled maintenance" replacing a switch; does it take a whole hour+ to replace a switch?

Traceroute indicates that no routes around tserv1.fra1.he.net are even announced; looks like a default route is taken and fades away in FMT or NYC or so.

kcochran

Definitely scheduled maintenance, no "quotes".  And sometimes that means having to rearrange other equipment too.

The major work is done now, may be some additional minor adjustments in the next hour or two.

broquea

You should call your sales person and demand satisfaction for the SLA you were sold, or you'll stop paying for your tunnel right now!

ORITE, free service :)

Hope HE crew are making time for having some fun out there when not performing maint.!

Quote from: cnst on June 12, 2013, 03:52:51 PMdoes it take a whole hour+ to replace a switch?

kasperd

dstest01

Quote from: kasperd on June 13, 2013, 04:12:49 AM
Are scheduled maintenances announced somewhere?

I'd really appreciate that as well.

On the other hand, each time I looked at the tunnel server status page all servers were "Up". This was also the case during a previous outage. It's the first page i head to if the tunnel seems down, as it's sometimes not obvious, where the problem is (tunnel endpoint, routing problems, tunnel server, ...), so I wonder, what information is used to update this page?

kcochran

The tunnel-tester quietly died off in such a way it still looked alive.  It's actually one of the oldest untouched pieces of code of the broker, and it's due for a restructuring.  In any case, it's back from its zombie-state, until it gets replaced.

The "Up"/"Down" status reflects the ability to retrieve a page from certain IPv6-enabled websites via a tunnel off of that specific tunnel server, checked every few minutes, for as long as the tester runs.

kasperd

Quote from: kcochran on June 15, 2013, 07:00:01 AMThe tunnel-tester quietly died off in such a way it still looked alive.
An indication on the page about when the data was updated could make it easier to notice such stale data.