• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

News:

Welcome to Hurricane Electric's Tunnelbroker.net forums!

Main Menu

Google over IPv6

Started by brad, January 08, 2009, 04:30:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brad

http://www.google.com/intl/en/ipv6/

Could HE look into getting involved with this? I'd love to be able to have Google search and GMail alone via v6 never mind all the other services they have.

broquea

Quote from: brad on January 08, 2009, 04:30:24 PM
http://www.google.com/intl/en/ipv6/

Could HE look into getting involved with this? I'd love to be able to have Google search and GMail alone via v6 never mind all the other services they have.

Like I mentioned in the other thread about exactly this, we're discussing it internally. However it would require you to use whatever NS we select, if we register for it, for all your lookups. Your ISP can also sign up for this, although I guess by the terms mentioned on that page they'd have to have significant IPv6 presence.

brad

Quote from: broquea on January 08, 2009, 05:06:44 PM
Like I mentioned in the other thread about exactly this, we're discussing it internally. However it would require you to use whatever NS we select, if we register for it, for all your lookups. Your ISP can also sign up for this, although I guess by the terms mentioned on that page they'd have to have significant IPv6 presence.

My ISP doesn't have any IPv6 service so they would not be able to sign up for this. HE is my "IPv6 ISP" so to speak via the tunnel(s). I think letting users know they could use designated servers setup to resolve names would be Ok, since HE would have such servers for any customers directly on their network anyway. As well as provide a list of domains Google provides with IPv6 enabled services so if users either via native service or tunnel could forward name resolution requests to those designated servers that would also be possible.

broquea

Quote from: brad on January 08, 2009, 05:18:20 PM
Quote from: broquea on January 08, 2009, 05:06:44 PM

My ISP doesn't have any IPv6 service so they would not be able to sign up for this. HE is my "IPv6 ISP" so to speak via the tunnel(s). I think letting users know they could use designated servers setup to resolve names would be Ok, since HE would have such servers for any customers directly on their network anyway. As well as provide a list of domains Google provides with IPv6 enabled services so if users either via native service or tunnel could forward name resolution requests to those designated servers that would also be possible.

Oh I agree, if we do decide to move forward with this we'll certainly announce it to our users.

snarked

Anyone know if GoogleBot will go IPv6 soon?

wahjava

And any ideas what user can do about this without using ISP's resolver. ATM, I access most of Google's services (Gmail, Search, Reader) over IPv6 by putting up their IPv6 endpoint mapped with the domain names of these services in my /etc/hosts which works fine, but I'm wondering if there is anything could be done over DNS level, so that other box in LAN can also enjoy similar experience without modifying their /etc/hosts. BtW, instead of using ISP's resolver, I run my own DNS resolver.

Thanks
<Xach> so easy when you don't have to be compatible with anything!

brad

Quote from: wahjava on January 11, 2009, 07:34:15 PM
And any ideas what user can do about this without using ISP's resolver. ATM, I access most of Google's services (Gmail, Search, Reader) over IPv6 by putting up their IPv6 endpoint mapped with the domain names of these services in my /etc/hosts which works fine, but I'm wondering if there is anything could be done over DNS level, so that other box in LAN can also enjoy similar experience without modifying their /etc/hosts. BtW, instead of using ISP's resolver, I run my own DNS resolver.

Thanks

I already made it very clear what the potential options are. If you can't accept the option I had mentioned for users with their own recursive name resolution servers then you've created your own problem.. deal with it.

kcochran

Thanks

If all your local hosts are using your local resolver, you could do effectively the same thing with it as you're doing with hosts, and that's to setup a zone for google.com in your local resolver.  This does have a couple gotchas in that if Google changes any addresses, you won't be able to reach the new ones, as your resolver will never check for them (same issue you have with /etc/hosts), and if there's a subdomain of Google's that you don't have in your zone, you'll get a no such host reply back if you try and hit it, unless your resolver will let you do limited overrides of an external zone.

wahjava

I'm not interested in masking the zone.

Anyways thanks for the reply.
<Xach> so easy when you don't have to be compatible with anything!

broquea

As an update, we originally asked to register 2 caching NS for use in our west coast co-location facilities. Primarily for our paying customers, and to see how well this worked. Having been able to test, we probably would have decided on a larger deployment of caching NS.

Somehow this request got construed as being only for tunnelbroker.net users, rather than our dual-stacked co-location, transit and web-hosting/server rental customers. As such Google doesn't want to move forward unless we deploy caching NS everywhere.

This will be discussed internally and if anything comes of it, we'll let you know.

We are still pushing to get our west coast facilities registered for this so we can complete the testing.

piojan

but I'm wondering if there is anything could be done over DNS level, so that other box in LAN can also enjoy similar experience without modifying their /etc/hosts. BtW, instead of using ISP's resolver, I run my own DNS resolver.
Had the same idea.

Have a look at my dns server at: 2001:470:9971:1001::53:
- it's only configurated for www.google.fi and google.fi
- give the false ips (real ips and much more domain in a few days)
- it's recursive also
- a records are not hardcoded (but nearest in europe - fra/ams)
- speed will be improved
- custom backend for powerdns

# dig @2001:470:9971:1001::53 AAAA www.google.fi

; <<>> DiG 9.6.0b1 <<>> @2001:470:9971:1001::53 AAAA www.google.fi
; (1 server found)
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 7261
;; flags: qr aa rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0
;; WARNING: recursion requested but not available

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;www.google.fi.                 IN      AAAA

;; ANSWER SECTION:
www.google.fi.          60      IN      AAAA    2001:4860:0:1001::fff

;; Query time: 1 msec
;; SERVER: 2001:470:9971:1001::53#53(2001:470:9971:1001::53)
;; WHEN: Mon Jan 19 23:59:54 2009
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 59

# dig @2001:470:9971:1001::53 www.google.fi

; <<>> DiG 9.6.0b1 <<>> @2001:470:9971:1001::53 www.google.fi
; (1 server found)
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 35831
;; flags: qr aa rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 3, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0
;; WARNING: recursion requested but not available

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;www.google.fi.                 IN      A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
www.google.fi.          60      IN      A       209.85.129.147
www.google.fi.          60      IN      A       209.85.129.99
www.google.fi.          60      IN      A       209.85.129.104

;; Query time: 415 msec
;; SERVER: 2001:470:9971:1001::53#53(2001:470:9971:1001::53)
;; WHEN: Tue Jan 20 00:00:35 2009
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 79

brad

Quote from: broquea on January 12, 2009, 07:09:25 PM
As an update, we originally asked to register 2 caching NS for use in our west coast co-location facilities. Primarily for our paying customers, and to see how well this worked. Having been able to test, we probably would have decided on a larger deployment of caching NS.

So Google is still slacking?

broquea

As far as I know the conversation with Google stopped in January and didn't make progress on their side (someone else at HE took over emailing them). This is probably backburner right now, as we have other items to attend to. We'll revisit it at a later date.

In the meantime, if anyone operates their own name servers, and promises Google to not let anyone outside of their region, or more specifically their company, use them, I'm certain you can qualify.

brad

We have enabled IPv6 DNS cache resolvers for all SixXS users. As a nice carrot for you to use the resolvers we built, we've asked Google to add these resolvers to their trusted tester list, which means that when you use them, you will receive AAAA answers for queries like www.google.com and maps.google.com!

See the IPv6 DNSCache pages for more information, including how to configure your system to use the resolvers.

http://www.sixxs.net/tools/dnscache/

Could HE please look into adding some recursive resolvers to their network with Google name server whitelisting? :)

r1ske

It looks like they're now OK with tunnel brokers:

Quote from: Google IPv6 FAQ
I am a user of an IPv6 tunnel broker. Can I receive Google over IPv6?

Some tunnel broker operators allow their users to access Google over IPv6 by providing special DNS resolvers close to their users. Please contact your tunnel broker for more details.