• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

Ping ipv6 fails (Android)

Started by g4wsz, December 23, 2014, 03:17:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

g4wsz

I'm trying to use the he.net app on android to ping an ipv6 host but I am getting the error message "unable to send any ipv6 icmp packets" and the address bar shakes its head at me ;-)

My device is not rooted btw. The app version is 0.5.3 iirc.

I CAN ping hosts by their IPv4 address but not IPv6.

What am I doing wrong please?

PS Samsung Tab2 Android 4.2.2

rwg

Quote from: g4wsz on December 23, 2014, 03:17:43 AM
I'm trying to use the he.net app on android to ping an ipv6 host but I am getting the error message "unable to send any ipv6 icmp packets" and the address bar shakes its head at me ;-)

I get the same thing with the ping and traceroute features, even when the phone is using my home wireless ethernet network (interface 'wlan0'), which has working IPv6 connectivity.

My phone is a non-rooted GSM Galaxy Nexus running Android 4.3.  The Network Tools version is 0.5.3.

g4wsz

It would now be useful to know if anyone has got the ping function to work!

I know we hate replies that say "it works for me" but at this stage I would welcome any hints on how to do IPv6 pings with this app.

:-)

broquea

It works for me using a Nexus 5 running Lollipop and the app rev is 0.5.3, over wifi connected via native Comcast.

broquea

It also worked on same phone using T-Mobile's LTE network.

g4wsz

Quote from: broquea on January 15, 2015, 08:37:59 AM
It also worked on same phone using T-Mobile's LTE network.

Thanks for that Broquera,

I have just found from another App ("ipv6 and more") that sending icmp6 is supported in Android 4.4 but not in 4.2.2, so that's my problem and why it works with Lollipop I guess.

Maybe the he.net app could check the os version and/or the error message?

I am new here but assume this is the right forum to report problems with this App?

mottbot

Quote from: g4wsz on January 24, 2015, 02:41:09 AM

I have just found from another App ("ipv6 and more") that sending icmp6 is supported in Android 4.4 but not in 4.2.2, so that's my problem and why it works with Lollipop I guess.

Maybe the he.net app could check the os version and/or the error message?

I am new here but assume this is the right forum to report problems with this App?

Dev here.

Android prevents applications from creating raw sockets. We use OS-independent system binaries to circumvent this. Some manufacturers choose to include these binaries pre-4.4. The message you are seeing is letting you know that the binaries were not found. For the sake of brevity, we excluded this explanation.

Also, yes, this is the place to report problems with the app  :)