• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

IPv6 Static Routes on DD-WRT?

Started by wirespeed, August 15, 2015, 07:55:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wirespeed

I have an ASUS RT-AC87U router (supports DD-WRT) which support NAT/IPv6 and connects with HE perfectly. I also have a downstream L3 switch that fully supports IPv6. What I would really like to do is take advantage of the /48 that HE has assigned me by creating IPv6 /64 networks (separate VLANs) on the L3 switch and creating static IPv6 routes on the AC87U to reach the IPv6 networks. For the L3 switch, the IPv6 default route will point to the AC87U enabling each of the IPv6 networks to reach the Internet.

My problem is that I haven't figured out how to do IPv6 static routes on the AC87U. Every Howto guide I've been able to find only shows how to create a single /64 on the home network.

Does anyone have any advice for how to configure IPv6 static routes? Any alternate suggestions for having multiple IPv6 subnets in my home using the HE /48, the DD-WRT ASUS and a L3 switch?

I apologize if this question is in any way stupid. I've probably learned IPv6 4 times over the last 15 years, but I'm finally in a position to start using it, so I'm kind of learning it for real now. Thank you!

evantkh

For example, your /48 is 2001:470:xxxx::/48 and your LAN is using 2001:470:xxxx:1::/64, where x is a hexidecimal number. Your router has the address 2001:470:xxxx:1::1 Your L3 switch has the address 2001:470:xxxx:1::2.

If you are using command-line interface, you should be able to add the static route using the following command in your router.
ip -6 route add 2001:470:xxxx:2::/64 via 2001:470:xxxx:1::2

On the layer 3 switch side, add a route.
::/0 or 2000::/3 via 2001:470:xxxx:1::1

wirespeed

Thank you so much!

After a bit of work to determine why SLAAC wasn't working on one of my networks, it's now all working!

Incidentally, Aruba Instant Access Points (IAPs) have ARP broadcast filtering enabled by default (unclear why). Turning this 'feature' off will allow SLAAC to work.

evantkh

Quote from: wirespeed on August 16, 2015, 10:59:28 AM
Thank you so much!

After a bit of work to determine why SLAAC wasn't working on one of my networks, it's now all working!

Incidentally, Aruba Instant Access Points (IAPs) have ARP broadcast filtering enabled by default (unclear why). Turning this 'feature' off will allow SLAAC to work.

I think there may be some problems with the software since IPv6 uses ICMPv6 instead of ARP.