• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

Enthusiast level issue

Started by czar1560, July 29, 2015, 03:11:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

czar1560

Hi,

I am a beginner in all this and I am stuck on the Enthusiast level. I have never setup a website, webserver, domain name. But it is necessary to pass this test. Thanks in advance for your help.

First of all my setup at home.

From outside to my lan: Internet => modem => wifi router (dd-wrt) => desktop
From inside to the Internet: Desktop => wifi router (dd-wrt) => modem => Internet

The modem is just a modem. A Motorolla. Does nothing else and is proprietary of my provider.
The Wifi router is a Linksys E3000 but flashed with ddwrt.

Ipv6 settings have been configured on my ddwrt router with success. My Desktop also has a static ipv6 address.

The only firewall I have is the one included in ddwrt and Windows fw.

Second part: What did I already do.

Created account on HE and created tunnel.
I went to this Godaddy website and buyed myself a domain name. The name is max-ithulp.com
On the same site of Godaddy I clicked on "DNS Zone File" and allocated that AAAA record. Host is my domain name: max-ithulp.com and under "points to" I've put the Ip address of my desktop running IIS. In fact I have no idea what Ipv6 address I have to put here. Could also be the one of my ddwrt router?
I also started the service IIS on my Desktop with Windows 8.1 on it (as I thought this was necessary to give him the webserver functionality).

Issue: Why is it that when I put my domain name after http:// I have a fail? It says "We will test grabbing the file => No AAAA record found"

It says to create a file. I assume this is where I need to learn IIS? I can surf to my localhost though and then I get an IIS Windows page. Is there an easier way to do this without having to use IIS?

I assume that my firewall rules could be interesting here so I copy/paste them hereunder.

root@DD-WRT:~# ip6tables --list
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
target       prot opt    source                 destination
ACCEPT     0           anywhere             anywhere           state RELATED,ESTABLISHED
ACCEPT     ipv6-icmp    anywhere             anywhere
ACCEPT     0           fe80::/64             anywhere
ACCEPT     udp         anywhere             anywhere           udp dpt:546
DROP        0           anywhere             anywhere

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)
target        prot opt    source                 destination
TCPMSS     tcp         anywhere             anywhere           tcp flags:SYN,RST/SYN TCPMSS clamp to PMTU
ACCEPT      0           anywhere             anywhere           state RELATED,ESTABLISHED
ACCEPT      0           anywhere             anywhere
DROP         0           anywhere             anywhere

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)
target     prot opt source               destination
root@DD-WRT:~#

That's it. If you need more info, don't hesitate to ask.

C.

cholzhauer

$ host max-ithulp.com
$

You don't have any addresses assigned at all.

You need to use the IPv6 address of your webserver.

Oxford

Quote from: cholzhauer on July 29, 2015, 05:08:50 AM

$ host max-ithulp.com
$

You don't have any addresses assigned at all.

You need to use the IPv6 address of your webserver.

I tried to add an AAAA record with godaddy.com but it gave me an error saying my website host IP address was not IPv6 valid.

Should I just spin up my own webserver then?

any help is appreciated, thanks.

cholzhauer

Uh...I don't know, you haven't given any details of what you're trying to do.  You're best to start your own thread instead of hijacking one that's four years old and provide the relevant details.

Oxford

I have the same issue as mentioned above. I am also stuck on enthusiast level trying to get to the next phase. Also I am new to this, if its better to make a new thread/post I will.

Thank you,