• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

How to assign routed /64 IPs with ifconfig?

Started by VS227, January 07, 2016, 08:55:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VS227

Hi,

I am configuring my tunnel with ifconfig, it seems super easy and so far all of the guides i've seen only cover the part about getting the actual tunnel up, but not how to add IPs from the routed /64. I would like to use my routed IPs so I can assign RDNS and use it as my main ipv6 IP on centos. How do I do this? I would only like to use commands instead of the network scripts in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/

UPDATE: actually I just figured out how to add an ip from my routed /64 by setting up radvd and adding the IP to eth0. However, I don't know how to make centos prefer that IP instead of my tunnel /64 IP. anyone know how?

cholzhauer

What's the need behind it?

From the sounds of it, you're also using your CentOS machine to do your routing, which is why you're seeing the tunnel /64 show up.

VS227

That's just the only way I figured I could use the routed /64 IPs. Is there another way without involving a seperate machine for routing? I plan to use the machine to SSH into servers for remote management, therefore i'd like to use an IP that I can set the RDNS on, therefore it has to be the routed /64.

cholzhauer

Makes perfect sense.

You should be able to edit the order in which the OS uses the IPv6 addresses it has; I don't know CentOS well enough to help you with the specifics.