• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

Choosing address within my /48 or /64?

Started by joshcurry, July 08, 2016, 05:42:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joshcurry

Hi,

I'm a bit of a novice with ipv6. So I've got a /48 and a /64 through tunnelbroker, and it works really well, but my only question is:

Is it possible to choose the address allocated to my different devices (like IPV4 DHCP reservations)? Having the /48 it seems pointless to have a 8-segment-long randomised address like aaaa:aaaa:aaaa:aaaa:aaaa:aaaa:aaaa:aaaa when I could just have aaaa:aaaa:aaaa::1 from my /48 or aaaa:aaaa:aaaa:aaaa::1 from my /64 if that makes sense.

Cheers in advance for any help with this!

cholzhauer

Yes, you have complete control

How are you allocating addresses?

joshcurry

Sorry for the slight delay in my reply;

So at the moment, my setup is an Airport Extreme configured in IPV6 tunnel mode as per the config settings I got when I generated my tunnel.
The devices just seem to connect and get a random address within my allocated /64.

Something's telling me that the Airport Extreme is not providing specific addresses (as I understand it, IPV6 devices can do addressing themselves and don't necessarily need DHCP?) Being an apple product, the UI is nice and simplistic, but lacks anything other than an 'IPV6 MODE' and relevant tunnel settings which you can configure.

Do you think that i'm just needing a DHCPv6 server like a raspberry pi on my LAN to do specific address delegation?

cholzhauer

You're using SLAAC by default...that auto generates an address based on the MAC  of the device you're on.

If you want to hand out specific addresses, you need DHCPv6 or just assign manually if you have a small enough network.  DHCPv6 is normally considered an "enterprise" use case and not included in most "consumer" routers.

joshcurry

Awesome i'll give that a try - many thanks for your help!

tjeske

Also, DHCPv6 address assignment is not supported by Android devices.