• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

Problems configuring Tunnel

Started by JDH1986JDH, September 24, 2017, 09:15:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JDH1986JDH

First of all i want to say hello to the forum.

Now my question is simple, how can i go back to the page where i enter my ip address and check to see if my IPV6 is set up properly.
No where int he directions did it say i needed an actual server to do the certification, so i just went through the trouble of configuring my old server 2008 R2 server only to realize i configured my windows 7 machine to use the website and tunnel.

I would be appreciative for any assistance!

JDH1986JDH

So i also emailed the website to get assistance and i looked at the FAQ, there is a web link to go back to the beginning of the explorer level but it says i need administrator privileges.

JDH1986JDH

Starting to think this IPV6 certification is a joke at this point. Documentation on how to get this setup is so poorly done its more of a headache than its worth and i question the validity of this certification and whether it can truly help me get better or not. I don't mean to sound like i am complaining but i am tapped out at this point and i feel like i am better off pursing more well documented professional certifications that have superior documentation and are more straightforward.

I am extremely good at what i do with computers and IT work but trying to complete this has seriously made me question myself and the future of my industry!

cholzhauer

With all due respect, this is pretty easy.

Tunnelbroker.net

Click on your tunnel.

JDH1986JDH

I disagree, maybe someday I'll come back to it when they actually post a more reliable guide on the basics of doing this and they decide to be more straightforward about what i need to complete this certification.

Such as the following-
System Requirements
Network Requirements
Make it clear you need paid hosting
Actually create documentation rather than a few short sentences

So with all due respect, i disagree with your assessment.
And it's clear you did not read my complaint in it's entirety.
I don't want someone to do it for me, i want them to actually create real documentation that gives examples and lays it all out on every piece of software/hardware/Accounts and what kind of hosting i need and how i can get it for free or low cost. I'm not going to buy a web address or a hosting plan just to do this liek it has been recommended in the forums to others.

When they make this better documented then maybe I'll give it another shot, but not a second before!

JDH1986JDH

They only give you little chunks and vague ideas about what you are supposed to accomplish, and they always do it right when you are expected to accomplish it rather than before so that you can actually download the software you need and prepare the necessary hardware.

It's unprofessional and the complete opposite of what every other IT company and certification website does.

It's taking a step back!~

cholzhauer

I realize I'm not going to change your mind, but

You don't need paid hosting.  You don't need free hosting.  All you need is a public IP address which most people have from their ISP.

There really are no requirements other than an OS that supports IPv6.  They list the commands you can use; you just need to copy and paste.

EDIT:

There is no software to download

JDH1986JDH

I get that you are trying to help me and i do appreciate that, it may not show but i do. I got passed Explorer with no issues, but i have to create a web server in Enthusiast which there is no documentation on how to do that, i tried to do it through IIS but it is not somethign that works when i need a valid FQDN and i don't have one!

The only way to get one that i know of is to buy a webhosting plan, my computer is set to a workstation and a workgroup. Windows 7!

cholzhauer

Windows 7 Pro has IIS; you can use that along with something like Dynamic DNS and host your own site.

I would argue that configuring IIS is outside of the scope of IPv6 certification...not saying you can't post with questions, I'm saying that it's outside of the scope of any "how-to" on this site.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc725762(v=ws.11).aspx

JDH1986JDH

The message i keep getting is the address i used is not found in AAAA, maybe there needs to be documentation on what i need to enter there, i tried over 35 different IP addresses and names i used following the steps but they produce various errors.

Tell us what your IPv6 website is; FQDN please    http://
   We will test grabbing the file    
   Schedule the test

Edit: To answer your question, the iis is something not too complicated for me.

cholzhauer

Now we're getting somewhere.

If you post the domain you're trying to use and the address you've assigned to it, I can verify that it's setup correctly.

JDH1986JDH

I deleted most of it though, i had to delete my dns record but i still have my tunnel set up. I'm not even sure how to configure the dns because it asks for the Address and Hostname?

I have already created a crude webpage in Abyss Web Server and it works on my end!

cholzhauer

The address should be your domain name.

It's been a while since I went through the test, can you post a screenshot?

JDH1986JDH

This is what i just added to the dns...

Would any of my tunnel info be helpful?

JDH1986JDH