• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

Wikipedia IPv6 block for he.net

Started by minfrin, January 17, 2022, 08:04:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

minfrin

I have just seen a blanket block by Wikipedia on the following he.net network:

Editing from 2001:470:1000:0:0:0:0:0/36 has been blocked (disabled) by ‪ST47‬ for the following reason(s):
The IP address that you are currently using has been blocked because it is believed to be a web host provider or colocation provider.

Wikipedia has been notified of the issue, but it looks like he.net needs to engage with wikipedia to make sure the network stays open.

cholzhauer

tjeske

Yeah, I've run into this myself last year. I remember beginning of 2021 everything was fine. But now it's blocked and ST47 seems unwilling to change it. No idea what happened. Looks more like one admin going rogue.

cshilton

Is ST47 a person? Also, does / did this edit ban apply to all editors or just anonymous ones?

tjeske

Applies to all, unfortunately. As a registered user you can try to get an exemption, but you'd have to request it at EVERY wikipedia site. And you'll have to renew it each year. I explained this is not a webserver/colocation provider, but the folks I spoke to said it's still a proxy and pRoXiEs aRe AgAiNsT tHe RuLeS!!!!!

snarked

HE is a collocation provider in the San Francisco Bay area as well as a tunnel provider.  Good luck changing Wikipedia's mindset.

divad27182

Quote from: tjeske on May 17, 2022, 04:48:38 AM
Applies to all, unfortunately. As a registered user you can try to get an exemption, but you'd have to request it at EVERY wikipedia site. And you'll have to renew it each year. I explained this is not a webserver/colocation provider, but the folks I spoke to said it's still a proxy and pRoXiEs aRe AgAiNsT tHe RuLeS!!!!!

I too have run against this.

I believe the actual rule is that anonymous proxies are against the rules.  The problem is that they consider a proxy you can make and unmake quickly to be anonymous. 

Personally, I think you have more anonymity in the average ISP than in HE's tunnels, including changing addresses at will.  I believe that, from the information of my IPv6 address, you could find the road I live on, but that you would have no such luck with my IPv4 address.  (You might need some perseverance, as the USPS doesn't have a simple 9 digit zip reverse look up tool.)

celehner

Dear Tunnelbroker Wikipedians,

Greetings from Long Island (New York)!

Administration declined my request to soften the block for HE.net tunnels; but suggested applying for IP block exemption:
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=User_talk:Clehner~enwiki&oldid=1137930740#Request_for_IP_address_unblock

I'm not sure if unblocking (whitelisting) assigned prefixes was considered. My DNS evidence of assignments was not acknowledged.
I think I mistakenly referred to "exemption" which is per-account; "IP block" here refers to restriction against IP addresses, not a unit of IP address space.
If returning to Wikipedia admins to request whitelisting assigned prefixes (unblocking), would anyone else here (HE.net Forum) like to combine requests (adding your respective prefixes and usernames)?
I could submit such a request this month while my page has semi-protection.
Maybe we could prepare a table of tunnels/prefixes assignments and who is responsible for them, that could make it easier for our assignments to be checked (verified?)

Regards,

Charles E. Lehner
~cel/clehner/celehner

celehner

The block on 2001:470:8000::/33 has been softened! https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Log&logid=142582982
The block on 2001:470:1000::/36 was already a softblock.
Softblock means login is needed to make edits. (With hardblock, edits could not be made even when logged in, except to one's talk page).

I started a page with a table listing assigned tunnels/prefixes; please feel free to edit this and add yours: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Clehner~enwiki/HE.net_IPv6_Tunnels

idealneck

I believe it got softened after I requested the IPv6 tunnelbroker be unblocked on the CheckUser mailing list. Seems like requesting it from there yields an almost immediate result (the block getting softened and my request are only a few hours apart).

I'm just mentioning this in case it happens again.

celehner

Quote from: idealneck on February 11, 2023, 09:35:37 PMI believe it got softened after I requested the IPv6 tunnelbroker be unblocked on the CheckUser mailing list. Seems like requesting it from there yields an almost immediate result (the block getting softened and my request are only a few hours apart).

I'm just mentioning this in case it happens again.

Good!
Thanks for requesting that.