• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

Will HE continue their free tunnel service for ever?

Started by AndrewButterworth, November 18, 2022, 12:40:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndrewButterworth

1st off, I'd like to thank HE for providing their free IPv6 tunnel service and free DNS services.  It's helped me immensely.
I've had an IPv6 tunnel and a /48 prefix for several years and have built a network using the /48.  If I was to lose this, it would take a while to unpick what I have built and deploy a new IPv6 network and would cause considerable downtime for me.
Is HE likely to continue their free tunnel service for ever?

Andy

snarked

I don't know about forever, but there are still ISPs that don't offer native IPv6, so certainly for a while, like in years.

sdgathman

I have been using he.net for IPv6 since its inception.  I noticed that Cox in VA was responding to Prefix Delegation requests, and tried using their native IPv6.  It works.  Sort of.  Prefix routing times out after 10 mins (despite a 24hr lease) and I have to keep restarting the PD process every 10 mins in a loop.  This would be workable, except there is an annoying pause in service at each timeout.

All this to say I have been "pestering" our ISP as requested by he.net, but on my last calls about the above issue, I was still informed "We do not support IPv6".  Sigh.

So I hope it is ok to move everything back to he.net IPs for another couple years (decades?).  I told the Cox rep that IPv4 has been officially obsolete for 20+ years.  The US Federal govt has issued an order to phase out all IP4 in Federal offices by 2025.  (again)

sdgathman