• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

News:

Welcome to Hurricane Electric's Tunnelbroker.net forums!

Main Menu

Usage Poll

Started by broquea, April 17, 2008, 02:53:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LuckyMan

I use it for my own personal educational purposes. Started using it since 2003.

annoyingrob

I use it just because I like to be on top of this type of stuff.

"Are YOU ready for the internet revolution?"

marcusw

To see the dancing turtle as well as personal use.

I've got a debian gateway (ditching uPNP/SSDP-spamming linksys routers FTW!), so setting up my LAN to use my routed /64 was pretty easy. Thanks to the HE guys for making this possible and free.

Azendale

I use it mostly for personal stuff and learning about networking.
IPv6 was what really got me into networking. I could have enough addresses to try things at home without trying to deal with the complexities of NAT. Most of the stuff I learned from IPv6 was applicable to IPv4 and so now I'm pretty comfortable with both versions.
What I've used IPv6 tunnels in general for is providing remote technical support (for people I've 'converted' to Ubuntu) through SSH (using public keys). You can't use SSH very well without being able to reach port 22 from outside. Some of the people I help are behind carrier wide NAT, side IPv6 tunnels are the easiest way to have a globally reachable port 22. Unfortunatly, this carrier wide NAT doesn't let HE's tunnels through, so I had to use Sixxs. (AYIYA/AICCU HE tunnels would be awesome.)

bombcar

Now I use it because it's much simpler to set it up once and be done with it for all the development and pre-release stuff I do. No more SSH hopping and redirection!

jima

Other: all of the above.

marydairy

Mostly personal stuff, learning more about networking, etc... I work at a game company doing the multiplayer section of the client, need to stay on top of these kind of things.

poupon

Hello,

I'm learning the protocol IPv6 and all the transitions.
IPv6 is the future Internet Prootocol ,that is why i'm here today.

Then my goal is to give explanation around me.

clemenza

I use ipv6 tunnel to access the websites blocked by China government.Almost all services of Google support IPv6, thanks to that I can build proxy of my own on Google App Engine, through which I can access other IPv4-only website, IPv6 just help me manage to connect Google app engine~ ;D

DOMBlogger

I deleted my tunnel as my current router seems to mangle the tunnel packets, it only works if I put my laptop directly behind the Cable Modem but for me, it primarily is research for a new hosting service (won't mention, I hate spam as much as everyone else does - and my target audience is technical n00bs anyway) I am starting.

Once I replace my router I will create a new one. The geographic location of my tunnel probably wasn't optimal anyway, but Fremont was full so I had to go with Seattle. Maybe when I replace my router, Fremont will have an opening (I'm in Redding). OTOH since my servers are all in Dallas (Linode), maybe that would be a good tunnel location.

Nutshell - I want everything I host to be dual stack. Many emerging markets (especially in Asia) seem to be adopting IPv6 very quickly, I think it is important to my potential clients (even though most will likely be American) that their content be available on IPv6 so that it is not missed by users who may be on IPv6 only networks.

Also, due to the way Apache works, individual SSL certs for hosted domains with name based virtual hosting is problematic.
Thus it is to my advantage to see IPv6 replace IPv4 as quickly as possible. The sooner dual stack becomes the norm, the sooner we'll get to a point where IPv4 drops away and I can go IPv6 only for SSL content. Still years away, but I figure the more interest in IPv6 that is seen by the big corporations the sooner that will happen.

Finally, I do not fully understand the details, but if my impression is correct, it sounds like the technical aspects of IPv6 make load balancing a hell of a lot easier. Something about being able to have a cluster of servers where the first available handles the request without needing to have the cluster behind a load balancer. I definitely want to research that some more and make sure I understand the concepts behind it.

k1mu

I'm running a tunnel at home (OpenBSD firewall in front of my FiOS router) and now at a VPS system. I'm doing this to learn IPv6 administration and for grins.

Yesterday I enabled an IPv6 address for the MX's for my domains; it took only a couple of hours before I got my first real V6-transported email. Good stuff.
No spam yet, fortunately.

peebles

For educational purposes, that and I really quite enjoyed the challenge and the learning curve.
:-D

wswartzendruber

I use TunnelBroker to learn about IPv6.  I never used the Internet back in the early '90s, but this business of global addresses makes things much more straight forward.  I outright gave up on trying to get SIP working through NAT.  I just want NAT to die.

rcroy72

I am here to learn. I came across this site in another unrelated forum and it sounded interesting.

aribleriondmate

Great to have router with OpenWRT installed on it. I can use IPv6 without any problems for educational purpose.