• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

News:

Welcome to Hurricane Electric's Tunnelbroker.net forums!

Main Menu

Guru test problem

Started by jbb, February 16, 2010, 01:40:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbb

I'm trying to complete the Guru test on my domain wraithsandstrays.com
I believe that it should pass but the test complains that it can't find AAAA records for it's NS records. But it has 2 NS records and both have AAAA records.

It's been about 45 hours since the nameservers were changed, I would have expected that to be enough and everywhere else seems to be picking up the new nameservers.

Did I miss something?

jbb

Never mind, it's working now.
Either something got fixed or some cache expired, not sure which :)

beisheim

I came here to write about the very same thing the parent described in his first post. Apparently there is some long time caching active which tends to make test/fix cycles agonizingly slow.
We already have that button with 'Reset Test' written in friendly letters, why not make it so that anything concerning the domain in test is flushed from the DNS cache when this button gets hit, before the test is performed?
I bet I'm not the only one who got rather frustrated at this step of the Certification parcours.

kcochran

Quote from: jbb on February 16, 2010, 01:40:19 AM
I'm trying to complete the Guru test on my domain wraithsandstrays.com
I believe that it should pass but the test complains that it can't find AAAA records for it's NS records. But it has 2 NS records and both have AAAA records.

It's been about 45 hours since the nameservers were changed, I would have expected that to be enough and everywhere else seems to be picking up the new nameservers.

;; ANSWER SECTION:
wraithsandstrays.com. 172800 IN NS primary-dns.co.uk.
wraithsandstrays.com. 172800 IN NS secondary-dns.co.uk.

That's a 48 hour TTL, so it'll take 48 hours for cached values to expire.

As to setting a push-button "cache flush", the only way to do that would be to reload the caching DNS server on the server, which isn't something we're comfortable with exposing to the web.  Best practices with changing DNS information is to lower your TTLs before making changes, so they can get refreshed quicker in the case of an error or additional modifications.

snarked

I don't think that lowering the TTL will work.  The cached record is probably that at the parent zone -- of which the domain registry controls the TTL.

dangerjat

can anybody tell me how to clear that test in which we have to first create user code than have to write ipv6 accessible site..do we have to make our own site for that?? plz help

jimb

I vaguely remember a stage where you had to set up an HTTP server and have it fetch a file with a coded name.  In this case, yes, you need to set up an http server that's accessible via IPv6.  I sort of "cheated" and set up mini_httpd instead of a full blown Apache installation.  :P

cholzhauer

IIRC, you just have to create a website and name the text file whatever code you're given in the test.

But yes, you do need to have a IPv6 enabled webserver to pass this part of the test...installing the webserver is actually pretty trivial compared to getting IPv6 access to that machine in the first place, as most all HTTP servers are IPv6 enabled now.

waterblinds