• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

Using HE's free DNS for enthusiast test: domain not propagating, even after 24h?

Started by wmassingham, May 31, 2010, 12:42:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wmassingham

So I'm trying the enthusiast test, and I've been using dyndns.org for a domain name (sheeettin.ath.cx), but apparently they don't support IPv6.
I sign up for HE's free DNS, and create sheeettin.com (A and AAAA records). Everything goes fine, but I get NXDOMAIN for everything. "Okay," I think, "the DNS server just cached that when I hit the button before getting it completely working." I change the TTL to 300s, hoping that'll somehow work. A few minutes later, nothing. "Okay," I think again, "it's cached for a while. I'll try again tomorrow."

Twenty-four hours later (give or take) I'm still getting NXDOMAINs unless I explicitly tell dig/nslookup/etc. to use ns1.he.net. Online DNS lookup tools (OpenDNS, dnsstuff.net) report NXDOMAINs as well.

Is there something I'm doing wrong, or should I just wait longer?

jimb

It doesn't appear that "sheeettin.com" is registered.  HE isn't a DNS registrar.  They provide a DNS hosting.  You still need to register the domain via a registrar such as Godaddy.

snarked

Not GoDaddy  (see http://www.nodaddy.com/ for reasons), but any other registrar should be ok.  Some are better than others.  Not everyone supports IPv6 glue.

BTW:
QuoteNo match for "SHEEETTIN.COM".
>>> Last update of whois database: Mon, 31 May 2010 08:29:47 UTC <<<
Still not registered.  Better get to it.