• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

I'm clueless with this

Started by alberto90, December 08, 2010, 12:49:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alberto90

Quote from: cholzhauer on December 11, 2010, 09:36:24 AM
Allen and I were asking for the IP address of your gateway so we could help you access it and determine if there was a firewall on that might be blocking your pings.

If you've turned off the McAfee firewall and the windows firewall and still aren't getting pings, either it's blocked on your gateway device or your ISP is blocking it at their level.

Broquea was asking for your public IP address so he/we could test it from his/our end.

I have my Mcafee firewall on all the time I have never turned it off for any reason while on the web not even to set up a tunnel and I don't use the windows one.  My Public IP address is dynamic.  I can supply the info you want just let me know

cholzhauer

turn off the mcafee firewall and try.

yes your address is dynamic...what is it?

allen4names

You may want to read Address Allocation for Private Internets. The private IP address of your router should be static.

cholzhauer

I think he meant that the address assigned to him by his ISP was dynamic. 

alberto90

Hi

My LAN IP address is static so is my default gateway IP address but my public IP address is dynamic.  I have never turned off my Mcafee firewall while browsing the internet obviously for security reasons.

The public IP address that begins with 81 changes the LAN and Default gateway addresses which start with 192 do not change they are static addresses.

allen4names

Try the link below.
http://192.168.254.254/
Let us know if it takes you to the modem configuration page.

alberto90

Quote from: allen4names on December 13, 2010, 05:46:59 PM
Try the link below.
http://192.168.254.254/
Let us know if it takes you to the modem configuration page.

It sure does I use to be with tiscali who have since been taken over by Talktalk.

allen4names

Is your modem firewall blocking ICMP?

alberto90

Quote from: allen4names on December 14, 2010, 04:17:28 PM
Is your modem firewall blocking ICMP?

I have my firewall set up to allow ICMP ping requests? I hope that's what you mean other than that please advise!

Thanks for your help so far I'm sorry about my ignorance but I'm willing to learn!

allen4names

Try setting up your tunnel again.  If you get the same error message the following may help.  Note that I use Windows Vista so you may need to do something else.

Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Windows Firewall with Advanced Security
    Inbound Rules > Networking - Echo Request (ICMPv4-In)

Open "Windows Firewall with Advanced Security".  I want you to find out if "Networking - Echo Request (ICMPv4-In)" is enabled.  There should also be "Networking - Echo Request (ICMPv6-In)" right next to it so you may want to enable that too.

alberto90

Quote from: allen4names on December 15, 2010, 08:02:38 PM
Try setting up your tunnel again.  If you get the same error message the following may help.  Note that I use Windows Vista so you may need to do something else.

Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Windows Firewall with Advanced Security
    Inbound Rules > Networking - Echo Request (ICMPv4-In)

Open "Windows Firewall with Advanced Security".  I want you to find out if "Networking - Echo Request (ICMPv4-In)" is enabled.  There should also be "Networking - Echo Request (ICMPv6-In)" right next to it so you may want to enable that too.

I'm using windows xp home edition.  I have windows firewall disabled because I am using Mcafee.  I think I found the area you asked me to look into in windows firewall and I think the equivalent is "Allow incoming echo request" which is already checked.  I'll wait for your next post and then try to set up a tunnel.

allen4names

Cholzhauer may know something about McAfee but I don't.

cholzhauer

I know enough to dislike it ;)

For testing, we should just disable the McAfee firewall.  Unless you know how to unblock ICMP and are confident that McAfee knows what to do with protocol 41, you should disable it for testing

alberto90

I have the firewall set up to allow 66.220.2.74 and allow ICMP ping requests but it still won't allow me to create a tunnel.  Are you telling me to disable Mcafee firewall and then try to create a tunnel with no shield or shall I just disable Mcafee and use Window's firewall while trying to create the tunnel.  Where would I find protocol 41 and allow it in Mcafee.

Confused I am.

cholzhauer

Turn off all firewalls.  Yes, I know it's not "normal" but we need to rule things out