• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

Tunnel Setup on Cisco RV220W -- Help Needed

Started by rxforcomputers, June 12, 2011, 11:40:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kauwen

I don't think Teredo should be active, did you configure it in the past? Or installed some tunnel client program?

rxforcomputers

I've never configured the Teredo Adapter that I can ever remember, and I've just checked my W7 netbook and the Teredo adapter config on it looks very similar to this one. I think that Teredo is enabled by default on W7 and Vista ...

kauwen

But Teredo should only be used if your router is not able to route ipv6

rxforcomputers

Ok, yes I agree that Teredo is not needed, and I have neither enabled it or configured it. It is just as it comes configured standard in Windows. Also, my tunnel was once working with my WRVS4400N with my computer configured just as it is now, except with my old router I did have to set the HE Nameserver's IP in my IPv6 DNS setting on my Ethernet adapter to have things fully functional.

I guess my point is that Teredo has always been there just as it is now. I really wouldn't know how to disable it right off hand, but I'm sure I have a hammer around that can take care of that if need be  ;D . I just don't think this is my problem ...

cholzhauer

You should disable teredo 

netsh int ipv6 set teredo disabled

I don't see any IPv6 info in there at all...you said the tunnel is setup on your router?  I've sort of lost track of this thread... If it is, you need to do RA or DHCPv6 to get your computer and address.

rxforcomputers

I'll try disabling Teredo this evening when I get home from work and find if it makes any difference.

Yes, I've got the router's IPv6 configured as described in the Cisco example documentation, and RADVD is setup as described in that document. I agree, I should be seeing some evidence of IPv6 leasing or configuration on my client and I'm not.

cholzhauer

If that's the case, disabling teredo isn't going to help this.  Is there a firewall in the way that might be blocking traffic?

rxforcomputers

No Sir, no firewall ... single layer LAN. Have the RV220 and a 16 port switch. Simple home network, and bare in mind that the tunnel was working with my old router, a WRVS4400N.

Tried disabling the Teredo and saw no difference other that the Teredo adapter showing Media State Disconnected and no IP information in it now.

cholzhauer

Something's wrong on your router/tunnel...it's just not doing RA to give you an IPv6 address or routing information.

Can you post the code or screen shots of what you have set up?

rxforcomputers

Ok, here's my best stab at walking you through the IPv6 tunnel settings I've put into my router ...

Following the Cisco document "Connecting RV220W to an IPv6 Tunnel broker", and after setting up my /64 tunnel on
the HE side, I followed this procedure. My firmware version is  1.0.1.0, so my screens didn't exactly match the
screenshots in the document. In cases where I didn't have an exact match to choose I made a best educated guess.

This, by the way, is also the order in which I made the settings. Here we go!

I first went to Networking > IPv6 > Routing Mode and selected radio button next to "IPv4 / IPv6 mode".

Next, went to Netowrking > IPv6 > Router Advertisement and set RADVD Status: to "Enable", Advertise Mode: to
"Unsolicited Multicast", Advertise Interval: to "30", RA Flags: have Managed and Other checked, Router Preference:
is set to "High", MTU: is set to "1500", and Router Life Time: is set to "3600".

At this point, my clients (PCs) were not acquiring 6to4 prefixes (2002:WAN IP in HEX::) as the documentation said
that I should have. I continued anyway.

Next, I went to Networking > IPv6 > Advertisement Prefixes, and clicked the Add button. In the following screen, I
set the IPv6 Prefix Type: to "6to4", the SLA ID: to "1", checked  that the IPV6 Prefix (although greyed out): is
"2002:<My WAN IP in Hex>:1::", the IPv6 Prefix Length (also greyed out): is "64", and the Prefix Lifetime: is
"3600". I then clicked the Save button.

I then went to Networking > IPv6 > 6 to 4 Tunneling and checked "Enabled" for Automatic Tunneling.

Next, I went to Networking > IPv6 > IPv6 Static Routing and clicked Add. On the next screen, I set the Route Name:
to "tunnelbroker", Active: has "Enable" checked, IPv6 Destination is set to "2001:", IPv6 Prefix Length" is set to
"3", Interface: has "sit0 Wan" selected", IPv6Gateway: is set to "::216.218.224.42" (HE Server IPv4 address), and
the Metric: is set to "2".

Lastly, I went to Networking > IPv6 > Advertising Prefixes again and clicked Add. Following screen, IPv6 Prefix Type: is "Global/Local/ISATAP", SLA ID: is greyed out and blank, IPV6 Prefix: is "<My HE Routed /64 Prefix>::2", IPv6 Prefix Length: is "64", and Prefix Lifetime: is "3600".

At this point when nothing seemed to be working, I rebooted the router as I had read in other posts that sometimes a reboot would bring up the tunnel after the settings were in place. No difference, still no working.

One thing that I have tried after all of this is I went to Networking > LAN > IPv6 LAN Configuration and set the IPv6 Address: to "<My HE Routed /64 Prefix>::101f" (random last four characters), IPv6 Prefix Length: is set to 64, and under the DHCPv6 section, I left the DHCP Status: set to "Disable DHCPv6 Server".

So, this is all of the settings related to IPv6 that I've done in an effort to get the tunnel working. Please, if you recognize something that I've done wrong, please let me know.

Thanks again!

cholzhauer

Is the MTU correct?

One thing is HE uses 6in4, not 6to4...you mention the 2002 address range, but that's never doing to work.

rxforcomputers

Very sorry to have not numbered my steps to make discussion a little easier. I wasn't thinking.

Quote from: cholzhauer on July 20, 2011, 05:15:14 AM
Is the MTU correct?

One thing is HE uses 6in4, not 6to4...you mention the 2002 address range, but that's never doing to work.

I'm guessing your question concerning the MTU is regarding the step that I described:

"Next, went to Netowrking > IPv6 > Router Advertisement and set RADVD Status: to "Enable", Advertise Mode: to
"Unsolicited Multicast", Advertise Interval: to "30", RA Flags: have Managed and Other checked, Router Preference:
is set to "High", MTU: is set to "1500", and Router Life Time: is set to "3600". "

These settings were directly from the Cisco documentation with no translation needed. The document showed "1500", so that's is what I set it to. If it needs to be otherwise I'm open to suggestions.

As for the 6to4 or 6in4, I'm guessing that this is regarding this step that I described:

"Next, I went to Networking > IPv6 > Advertisement Prefixes, and clicked the Add button. In the following screen, I
set the IPv6 Prefix Type: to "6to4", the SLA ID: to "1", checked  that the IPV6 Prefix (although greyed out): is
"2002:<My WAN IP in Hex>:1::", the IPv6 Prefix Length (also greyed out): is "64", and the Prefix Lifetime: is
"3600". I then clicked the Save button."

There was no 6in4 to select, and the Cisco document that I followed said 6to4 so that's what I selected. Lastly, the 2002 address range that you reference is not something that I set but was automatically there in a box that was greyed out and couldn't be changed, "IPv6 Prefix:". I simply mentioned it because that I was thinking the fact that I was "2002:<what my WAN IP was in Hex>:1::" was relevant to this conversation.

Cheers, and thanks!

cholzhauer

Yeah, your assumptions were correct.

Your RV220W will work with HE because you're not allowed to change that 2002 to a 2001.

This is really the only thing that I found on google and it's more directed at hosting the tunnel behind the router, not on it

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2089646?tstart=20

rtrsalt

Any luck with this?  I am having similar problem.  The document at https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-17497, is this for 6to4 or 6in4?  It seems like it is for doing the tunneling to the router because the router is then advertising the assigned prefix from HE (in addition to 2002 prefix).

rxforcomputers

Yes, this is the document that got things working for me! From the time when I was last posting, Cisco revised the firmware and, after a hard reset of the unit and following the instructions in the doc, the tunnel came up and has since been up even after another firmware update. My current firmware is now 1.0.3.5, BTW.