• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

hMailServer FreeDNS Administrator

Started by netadventures, July 10, 2012, 02:56:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

netadventures

Hi! Could anyone help me with a step by step how to achieve the Administrator module, already got through freedns.afraid.org create an AAAA record pointing to my webserver and got to the Administrator module, but am having great difficulty to put the server e-mail working, I am lost, I do not know if I have to create MX records, CNAME, someone could teach me in simple settings on my machine and freedns? Thank you.

kasperd

Quote from: netadventures on July 10, 2012, 02:56:22 PMI do not know if I have to create MX records, CNAME
As far as I recall nothing in the certification requires you to create any CNAME records. For mail you do need an MX record (or  multiple).

You are going to need:
1. An MX record for your domain listing the hostname of the mail server.
2. A AAAA record mapping the hostname of the mail server to an IPv6 address.
3. For the next stage of the test, a PTR record mapping the IPv6 address of the mail server back to the hostname.

I think the test is supposed to work as long as at least one of the MX records point to a hostname that has at least one AAAA record. If you have multiple MX records for your domain, it is acceptable to have some of them be IPv4 only.

If the hostname of your mail server is within the same domain, then the MX and AAAA records can both be setup in the same place. The PTR record for the next stage of the test depends on your provider of IPv6 connectivity. If you happen to be using a tunnel through HE for IPv6 access, there is a webinterface to configure the PTR record.

netadventures

my domain = learningipv6.mooo.com

MX record created :
type = MX
Subdomain = learningipv6
Domain = mooo.com (public)
Destination = 10:mailbox
TTL = blank

AAAA record created :
type = AAAA
Subdomain = mailbox.learningipv6
Destination = ipv6 address
TTL = blank

hMailServer

hostname = mailbox
domains = mailbox.learningipv6.mooo.com
acount created = netadventures@mailbox.learningipv6.mooo.com

telnet [ipv6] 25 = OK
telnet [ipv6] 110 = OK

but in ipv6 certification page, the message is "No MX found for your domain. Failed to get AAAA"

Where I'm wrong? Thank you so much!

cholzhauer

how long ago did you create the records?

netadventures

Quote from: cholzhauer on July 11, 2012, 08:47:21 AM
how long ago did you create the records?

If this is your question, at the time of the test, both "learningipv6.mooo.com and mailbox.learningipv6.mooo.com" respond to ping, but I still do not make it work.

kasperd

Quote from: netadventures on July 11, 2012, 08:37:25 AMSubdomain = learningipv6
What you have created is an absolute name, not a relative name. Since mailbox is not a valid TLD, that is not going to work. If the interface does not allow you to type in a relative address, then you'll just have to type in the full name yourself, which I guess you intended to be mailbox.learningipv6.mooo.com.

Additionally your mailserver is not actually working. It can complete a TCP handshake, but after completing the handshake it does not present the banner it is supposed to, instead it just closes the connection.

netadventures

Quote from: kasperd on July 11, 2012, 03:25:58 PM
Quote from: netadventures on July 11, 2012, 08:37:25 AMSubdomain = learningipv6
What you have created is an absolute name, not a relative name. Since mailbox is not a valid TLD, that is not going to work. If the interface does not allow you to type in a relative address, then you'll just have to type in the full name yourself, which I guess you intended to be mailbox.learningipv6.mooo.com.

Additionally your mailserver is not actually working. It can complete a TCP handshake, but after completing the handshake it does not present the banner it is supposed to, instead it just closes the connection.

Okay, so what I do to solve these problems?

PS What do you mean with "banner"?

Thank you.

kasperd

Quote from: netadventures on July 11, 2012, 04:25:35 PMOkay, so what I do to solve these problems?
Looks like you updated the mx record already.

Quote from: netadventures on July 11, 2012, 04:25:35 PMPS What do you mean with "banner"?
When you connect to the SMTP port, the server is supposed to reply with status code 220 and a human readable text. Yours would just drop the connection after a fraction of a second without ever saying anything.

Right now it however looks like your tunnel is down, so I cannot connect to your mailserver anymore.

netadventures

kasperd

Your DNS records look correct, but 2001:470:4:b7f::2 is not online. So check that you even have IPv6 connectivity at the moment. Did you bring down your tunnel endpoint, or did you perhaps get a new IPv4 address for the tunnel endpoint without updating the tunnel configuration?

netadventures

Kasperd, I would like to thank you for all the help, I discovered the problem, which was in the range ipv6 server hMailServer.