• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

[Feature Request] - DDNS update system

Started by mindlesstux, February 24, 2008, 10:03:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mindlesstux

Should not be that hard to implement.

Would really like to see one that ties in with dns-o-matic so that when my router detects a chang in ipv4 address it can send one update and it update everything I use.

Currently my router updates dns entry and opendns via dns-o-matic and I have to manually update he.net.

dimc

I have the same problem.
The ideal would be a small client application that updates the ipv4 endpoint everytime it changes.  :)

bye.

elliottcable

Preferably an ultralight daemon - not a full blown application, those are always a pain and eat system resources.

I myself have a static IP, so I don't need it, but I know when I had a dynamic IP that those stupid DDNS updating applications were a pain.

mindlesstux

I really dont wanna see an app from them, would rather just see support of the DDNS protocol and for it to show up under dns-o-matic's lists of services (http://dnsomatic.com/)  So when my router sees a change, it updates one site which in turn updates 3, (opendns and dyndns, hopefully this too)

normanr

What about implementing a subset of TIC, that way existing tools like AICCU can be used to update the IPv4 endpoint.

normanr

I have updated my old script so that it works with the new web-site changes, you can find it here

dimc

Quote from: normanr on March 20, 2008, 01:55:40 PM
I have updated my old script so that it works with the new web-site changes, you can find it here

Very useful script, it works perfectly, thank you!  ;D
But you know that everytime the website changes, a new updated is needed.

normanr

The script went 5 years without an update.  I think that was doing pretty well.

btw, he.net have also updated their mirror of the script.

jamus

Quote from: normanr on March 22, 2008, 06:06:46 AM
The script went 5 years without an update.  I think that was doing pretty well.

btw, he.net have also updated their mirror of the script.

You may want to update the script to handle whatismyip's new automation page.  See information here:

http://whatismyip.com/automation/default.asp

Otherwise, this is an excellent script and works well for what I need!

normanr

Ahh, I see they've changed stuff around - so much so that it's a pain to keep using them.  I've added a config option to be able to pull the current IP address from any web page (two working url's are suggested - so you're not left out in the cold).

I also update the script to use the ipv4 hostname for the tunnelbroker, just in case anyone's perl was feeling lucky and tried to access the website via an ipv6 tunnel that wasn't configured yet.

script: version 0.10b

broquea

We also have an ipv4 only hostname of ipv4.tunnelbroker.net and ipv6 only hostname of ipv6.tunnelbroker.net (broker user suggestion for distinct hosts last summer).

normanr

Quote from: broquea on March 22, 2008, 02:33:49 PM
We also have an ipv4 only hostname of ipv4.tunnelbroker.net and ipv6 only hostname of ipv6.tunnelbroker.net (broker user suggestion for distinct hosts last summer).
yep - I noticed, so I changed the script to point to ipv4.tunnelbroker.net in case perl got IO::Socket::INET6 plumbed in somewhere (maybe perl6 will, who knows).

normanr