• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

Youtube/Facebook Video Slow/Buffering.

Started by Napsterbater, February 07, 2018, 12:37:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Napsterbater

Anyone else noticing issues with Youtube and/or Facebook video buffering alot more recently over HE IPv6 Tunnel?

This is on TServ13 Ash1 for me. Tunnel ID: 175140

Note Comcast IPv6 speed test show full 30+mbps (my ISP Subbed Speed) during the issues.

One of the Youtube/Google content servers having an issue, only 300-500kbps from it, r1---sn-vgqskn7z.googlevideo.com / 2607:f8b0:4009:3b::7

Edit: 2nd cotent server, r3---sn-vgqsknes.googlevideo.com   2607:f8b0:4017:32::8  only about 800kbps from it.

JRMTL

no issues via nyc4 tunnel which routes youtube via lga    2607:f8b0:4006::/48

felddy

For the last couple of weeks I'm seeing the same behavior.  I'm don't think that it is limited to a single youtube host.  Here are the details of what I'm currently seeing:

Tunnel ID: 68971
Endpoint: tserv2.ash1.he.net (216.66.22.2)
Youtube host: r1---sn-a5meknek.googlevideo.com (2607:f8b0:401c:1b::7) 

Very slow to initial buffer, and then large drops in speed.  At times the stream will stop completely. 
I'm coming in from a 100Mbps FIOS connection.  No detectable issues on the IPv4 interfaces.

Cabal696

Been having the same issue here with tserv1.phx2 for the past couple weeks. No issues when toggling off IPv6 resolution in Firefox. I'm stringent with setting a max-mss on outgoing TCP traffic, so I don't think this is a local issue.

garothor

papamidnight

Same here.

Utilizing the end point 216.66.22.2

mthode

garothor

As a workaround for the time being I've added the following domains to the network.dns.ipv4OnlyDomains preference in Firefox's about:config and it appears to have mitigated the issue. 

youtube.com, youtu.be, googlevideo.com, ytimg.com

ikkuranus

It also seems to affect Directv Now. I hate to give up static V6 as it's impossible to make Pfsense automatically update dynamic v6 hosts but with YT/DTV buffering all the time I have no choice.

garman9000

Hate to say "me too", but "me too". Also on the Ashburn POP. YouTube is unusable through my IPv6 he.net tunnel.

DJX

Same problem here.
Using tunnel server: 216.66.22.2

As a workaround I have added *.youtube.com and *.1e100.net to my IPv6 DNS blacklist.
You can find more information about how I accomplished this if you refer to my thread here: https://forums.he.net/index.php?topic=3794

kriteknetworks

Can't tell, looks like comcast is throttling ipv6 traffic if I dont use native. I get full download speeds with native, but 1MBps when using HE tunnel.

Napsterbater

Quote from: kriteknetworks on February 16, 2018, 04:42:36 PM
Can't tell, looks like comcast is throttling ipv6 traffic if I dont use native. I get full download speeds with native, but 1MBps when using HE tunnel.
They are not throttling. Congested link more likely.

artooro

I've been seeing this a lot for the last week or so with YouTube. Sometimes videos don't even play. I am using the Toronto 216.66.38.58 endpoint. Disabling IPv6 on the computer resolves the issue.

kriteknetworks

Quote from: Napsterbater on February 17, 2018, 07:59:59 AM
Quote from: kriteknetworks on February 16, 2018, 04:42:36 PM
They are not throttling. Congested link more likely.
Can you please tell me how you arrived at your conclusion?

My download speeds for the last 9+ months have consistently been capped at 9-11Mbps when on HE tunnel. 125Mbps if I use comcast native. Also consistently get faster upstream on HE tunnel, typically 14-17Mbps. Its not typical to have faster upstream than downstream on residential cable connection. I don't see this behaviour when using comcast native ipv6.

I have been a tunnel user with HE for many years, and have never experienced any throttling/rate limiting on tunnels, but this throttling began in spring 2017, and hasn't changed since. During that time there were changes in comcast network and service in my area. Prior to this I had no problems.