• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

Questions/Remarks about Basic Set-Up

Started by Ninho, August 06, 2009, 10:05:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cholzhauer

You can grab a dynamic tunnel from Sixxs that does not require you to pass protocol 41...setting up the account is not as easy as HE, but the AYIYA tunnel works great for times like this.

BobRobertson

Quote from: bombcar on January 26, 2010, 11:55:34 AM
QuoteIf my VoIP phone service worked through a Linux box acting as a router, I wouldn't have this problem. But Noooooo.

This should work. I mean, the Linux box can (like zombo.com) do anything with networks, so you should be able to get it to work.

Yep. "Should" is a very broad concept, like "limited government", that never seems to quite come off like one expects.  :-\

Quote from: cholzhauer on January 26, 2010, 12:19:37 PM
You can grab a dynamic tunnel from Sixxs that does not require you to pass protocol 41...setting up the account is not as easy as HE, but the AYIYA tunnel works great for times like this.

Thanks, I'll look up "Sixxs". ...and "AYIYA" while I'm at it.  :D

I may even take another shot at getting the VoIP working through the Linux box, except that I've grown quite accustomed to the quiet of not having a PC fan running. Ah well, at lest the HE tunnel is free so I haven't lost money on the experiment.

Thanks for the suggestions.

cholzhauer

BobRobertson

Sixxs has not approved my application. Oh well. Time to try OpenWRT.

cholzhauer

I'm not really surprised.  I used to have a tunnel through them (for more than a year) and one of the email's to me bounced.  Well, that's a no-no, so they disabled my account.  I switched to HE before the email bounced (because HE was more reliable)

It's been like three or four months and I still don't have my account back.  I wasn't using the tunnel anymore, but I was frequenting the forums and trying to help other people out.  Oh well.

Let me know how OpenWRT works; I've never tried it...I've only tried DDWRT and the version I had didn't do IPv6.

jimb

I avoided sixxs because of the reputation it has, and things I've heard about the guy who runs it with a bit of an "iron fist".

BobRobertson

Quote from: cholzhauer on February 11, 2010, 08:48:30 AM
Let me know how OpenWRT works; I've never tried it...I've only tried DDWRT and the version I had didn't do IPv6.

I think I'm going to try dd-wrt first. The configuration of OpenWRT is a lot of esoteric commands and I'm a bit worried about messing it up.

I'll post some opinions when I have them.

BobRobertson

Ok, hopefully this is the correct place to post this.

I put the present standard build v24 of dd-wrt on my WRT-54GL, and I agree with the comments I've read that doing so turns a generally useful router into an excellent router.

I am very pleased with the configuration, "look and feel", options, etc. I like it so much that this will remain my default software.

However, the v24 version does not do IPv6.

If OpenWRT has a gui, I hope it looks like this, but everything I've seen about OpenWRT is text based, and very esoteric in its commands. If it were just inet-tools or such it would be so very much easier, but I fully understand the need of building a very tiny footprint to run on embedded systems.

I've found reference to Rev-C of the D-Link DIR-615 (along with gui setup) IPv6 support, tunnels and all, hooray, but there are no references what so ever on the D-Link home page. It also seems that the DIR-615 rev-D has dropped IPv6 support from their code. That's just crazy, do they really have no idea of the market they're missing? If it weren't for the caveats I would have bought a DIR-615 yesterday when I realized that dd-wrt didn't have IPv6 built into the software for this WRT-54GL.

More as it happens, thanks for listening, etc.  ;D

BobRobertson

Quote from: BobRobertson on February 13, 2010, 02:12:06 PMI would have bought a DIR-615 yesterday when I realized that dd-wrt didn't have IPv6 built into the software for this WRT-54GL.

I did buy the DIR-615, and as others have suggested it works just fine.

I was surprised to define both the WAN and LAN interfaces to the same /64, :2 and :3 respectively, so it's acting more as a bridge than a router I guess.

Just remember to change "Stateless" to "Stateful" allocation, and you'll be all set.