• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

News:

Welcome to Hurricane Electric's Tunnelbroker.net forums!

Main Menu

Requesting BGP AS

Started by maestroevolution, September 18, 2009, 11:26:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maestroevolution

All,

Has anyone requested an AS from ARIN just for BGP peering with HE?  Their posted policy lists requirements for either multihoming or complex routing requirements with the upstream ISP.  I could probably get by with "complex routing requirements" citing IPv6, consulting, hosting, training, and throw a bunch of cert letters at them, but if anyone has standard verbiage that ARIN likes, I'd rather use it.

I already have an account created for my company, with the associated POCs for whois, so that's not a factor.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Joel

broquea

If you do get one, make sure it is 16-bit. The routers used for BGP tunnel-servers don't support 32bit ASNs right now.

maestroevolution

I remembered that, but thanks :)

HE still requires use of a public AS and won't assign one out of the private range?

Joel

broquea

Quote from: maestroevolution on September 18, 2009, 12:36:36 PM
I remembered that, but thanks :)

HE still requires use of a public AS and won't assign one out of the private range?

Joel

nope.

public as, RIR allocated space, can't re-announce ours back to us.

jimb

I haven't had to do BGP stuff for quite a while (when I was multihoming a network of a company I worked for w/ ARIN space).  When did 32 bit ASNs come into play, and how widely used are they?

I've wondered why I've been hearing about the IPv4 crunch for years now, but never really heard much about the ASN crunch, which was starting to be an issue even back years ago when I got the ASN for the company I worked for.  I remember having to really justify it before ARIN would give me one.  I also remember wondering why they didn't bump the BGP rev and add a larger word size ASNs.   I guess they ultimately did something like that.

Why can't you use the 32 bit ASNs with IPv6?  Is it because the BGP rev on a lot of routers out there haven't implemented it?

mleber

This thread needs correction.

Hurricane Electric supports 32 bit ASNs on the core routers.

Hurricane Electric supports 32 bit ASNs on various other infrastructure, including our route server and looking glass.

Hurricane Electric absolutely supports 32 bit ASNs with native IPv6.

The BGP tunnel servers, not the regular tunnel servers, are Cisco 7206 VXRs which need to upgraded to support 32 bit ASNs.

32 bit ASNs interoperate transparently with routers that only understand 16 bit ASNs.

Routers that only support 16 bit will show 32 bit ASNs as the placeholder AS 23456 in the AS path.  We have video tutorial about 32 bit ASNs that will be posted soon and Owen Delong of Hurricane Electric will also make a presentation about 32 bit ASNs at the ARIN conference that coincides with NANOG.

Mike.

jimb

I imagine not just an IOS upgrade alone.  IOS upgrade probably needs more RAM and/or flash or something, right?

EDIT: Also, thanks for the edit/update.  I'll have to read up on this 32 bit ASN business.  :P 
Also2, get Broquea to do the video.  He has nice readable screenshots in the videos.  :)