• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

I'm clueless with this

Started by alberto90, December 08, 2010, 12:49:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alberto90

I'm a novice at setting up a proxy I have tried to set up and I'm getting this error message:

Error: Your IPv4 endpoint is unreachable or unstable. Please make sure ICMP is not blocked. If you are blocking ICMP, please allow 66.220.2.74 through your firewall.

I have a LAN connection and I have put in my public IP address allowed ICMP pings through Mcafee and allowed 66.220.274 to connect and still the message continues.  I'm using windows XP home edition sp3.  I am using a siemens ADSL speedstream modem provided by my ISP.  If anyone don't mind helping out a complete beginner, I'd be greatful

Thanks

cholzhauer

OK, first thing.

is there a firewall in your speedstream?  If you've already turned off the firewalls in McAfee and Windows, that would be the next place to look.

alberto90

Quote from: cholzhauer on December 08, 2010, 01:13:37 PM
OK, first thing.

is there a firewall in your speedstream?  If you've already turned off the firewalls in McAfee and Windows, that would be the next place to look.

Hi Thanks for responding.  I am a novice so I will appreciate your patience.  I haven't turned of Mcafee firewall and I don't use windows firewall.  I have allowed ICMP ping in my Mcafee settings and I have allowed connections to 66.220.274 also in my Mcafee settings.  The speedstream doesn't have a firewall I don't think and I wouldn't be able to tell you if it did ???

broquea

So what is your IPv4 address?
What machine/device has that address assigned to it?

cholzhauer

also, is there anything between the speedstream and your computer?  if not, look at the gateway on your computer and try and get to   that via http and see what it gets you

alberto90

Quote from: broquea on December 08, 2010, 02:44:35 PM
So what is your IPv4 address?
What machine/device has that address assigned to it?

I have a public IP address that is dynamic changes slightly

A LAN IP address that is static. I have the speedstream connected to my computer so the address is assigned either to the speedstream or the computer

alberto90

Quote from: cholzhauer on December 08, 2010, 02:55:17 PM
also, is there anything between the speedstream and your computer?  if not, look at the gateway on your computer and try and get to   that via http and see what it gets you

There is nothing it plugs straight in to the computer.  I don't understand the gateway stuff.

cholzhauer

What is the IPv4 address?

To find your gateway

Start > Run  

Type in "cmd"

hit enter

type in "ipconfig"

hit enter

find your local area connection, find the gateway address

copy that address.  put that address into your browser and try and browse to it.

alberto90

Quote from: cholzhauer on December 08, 2010, 06:43:04 PM
What is the IPv4 address?

To find your gateway

Start > Run  

Type in "cmd"

hit enter

type in "ipconfig"

hit enter

find your local area connection, find the gateway address

copy that address.  put that address into your browser and try and browse to it.

I wasn't able to browse using the LAN ISP number nor the Public ISP number I was taken to a cannot display page by my internet service provider or to bling.  I can access the internet all other ways through my ISP provider home page etc. etc.  These number were rejected when I tried to create a connection for a tunnel the LAN number was said to be private and the public one when I entered it gave me the below message.

Error: Your IPv4 endpoint is unreachable or unstable. Please make sure ICMP is not blocked. If you are blocking ICMP, please allow 66.220.2.74 through your firewall.

cholzhauer

Why don't you just post the output of ipconfig

allen4names

The output of "ipconfig" should look something like this.

Windows IP Configuration

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
  Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::c856:8f0d:2a9d:53fc%10
  IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.64
  Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
  Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6:

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 7:

Tunnel adapter IP6Tunnel:

IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:470:a:18f::2
  Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::cde8:203:e38e:be5a%15
  Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 2001:470:a:18f::1

I use the URL http://192.168.0.1/. You may need the user name and password to access your router.

alberto90

Quote from: allen4names on December 09, 2010, 07:19:54 PM
The output of "ipconfig" should look something like this.

Windows IP Configuration

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::c856:8f0d:2a9d:53fc%10
  IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.64
  Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
  Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6:

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 7:

Tunnel adapter IP6Tunnel:

IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:470:a:18f::2
  Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::cde8:203:e38e:be5a%15
  Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 2001:470:a:18f::1

I use the URL http://192.168.0.1/. You may need the user name and password to access your router.

I have accessed to all of the stuff but obviously haven't changed anything. It informs IP routing enabled No

Thanks

cholzhauer

That doesnt tell us anything.  We are trying to help but you aren't giving us any of the info we are asking for

alberto90

Quote from: cholzhauer on December 11, 2010, 06:37:21 AM
That doesnt tell us anything.  We are trying to help but you aren't giving us any of the info we are asking for

What information do you need then?  I don't know how to copy the information from the C:/ window.  I don't mind posting the information but will remove some references.  What command shall I put in to the C:/ for the info you want?

Thanks for your help

cholzhauer

Allen and I were asking for the IP address of your gateway so we could help you access it and determine if there was a firewall on that might be blocking your pings.

If you've turned off the McAfee firewall and the windows firewall and still aren't getting pings, either it's blocked on your gateway device or your ISP is blocking it at their level.

Broquea was asking for your public IP address so he/we could test it from his/our end.