• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

IPv6 capable phones

Started by broquea, January 07, 2010, 03:57:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broquea

Google NexusOne running Android 2.1
Teehee~

jimb

Nice.  Did it cost you $600?  A friend was trying to buy one and the web site was timing out.  :)

broquea

Quote from: jimb on January 07, 2010, 05:55:23 PM
Nice.  Did it cost you $600?  A friend was trying to buy one and the web site was timing out.  :)

Watched webcast, URL announced at 10:45AM, order completed at 10:47AM :)

$580 after tax and FREE OVERNIGHT FEDEX because I don't use TMO, and don't want to wait [REDACTED] months until the AT&T 3G radio compatible model is out (I use wifi on it anyways to get the best internet access speeds). Ideally any phone that can run the Android 2.x and has WiFi will be able to autoconfig IPv6.

jimb

I wonder if it can do teredo or 6to4 via its phone network?  I think I got teredo going through sprint's network using PDANet on my laptop.  I 'spose it also may be possible to set up a 6in4 tunnel.

Also I guess you can now start playing with mobile IPv6?  I haven't really read much about it, but looked interesting.  I guess the network would have to support it unless it could work though a tunnel.

broquea

Quote from: jimb on January 07, 2010, 06:42:06 PM
I wonder if it can do teredo or 6to4 via its phone network?  I think I got teredo going through sprint's network using PDANet on my laptop.  I 'spose it also may be possible to set up a 6in4 tunnel.

Also I guess you can now start playing with mobile IPv6?  I haven't really read much about it, but looked interesting.  I guess the network would have to support it unless it could work though a tunnel.

Supposedly there is a article/post somewhere that reports AT&T claiming full IPv6 readiness on their network, but I don't know if that is mobile, or backbone. If mobile, that would be neat unless it requires 3G, which means I don't get it yet. Since no root on the phone...unless you molest it, and not much space to install packages like miredo, let alone getting it on (unless you muck about with the SDK), native on the WiFi is good enough for me :)

NewtonNet

Here's another to add to the mix:

HTC Touch Diamond (WM 6.1) running IE Mobile 7.11

(unfortunately Opera Mobile 10 Beta won't play ball...)

Mathew

saiken

The iPhone doesn't in general because the high level libs they have eat IPV6 addresses ... but you can use C instead of Cocoa and at least one App does.

http://www.ulfheim.net/pics/app.png

IPv6 Query .. just does DNS lookup and tutorial stuff ( how to read an ipv6 address etc ).

cholzhauer

I have a Nokia e71x that partially supports IPv6. There is an option to manually set an IPv6 DNS server, but no option to set the actual IPv6 address.

I'm assuming this functionality will be implemented in the future, but haven't been able to find anything online regarding it.

kcochran

While the resolver can return AAAA records, the iPhone doesn't have any v6 transport options in it currently.  Even the old trick of opening a v6 UDP socket and getting your local socket address bombs on the device.  Works in the sim, but it isn't _quite_ the same iPhone OS as a device.  We can hope that'll change for whatever 4.0 turns out to be.

brad

Quote from: broquea on January 07, 2010, 06:57:50 PM
Supposedly there is a article/post somewhere that reports AT&T claiming full IPv6 readiness on their network, but I don't know if that is mobile, or backbone. If mobile, that would be neat unless it requires 3G

T-Mobile has v6 on their mobile network in testing and supposedly should have something publicly later in the year.

Why don't you have 3G? Anything else is too painful and not worth using.

broquea

Quote from: brad on March 12, 2010, 01:37:43 PM
Why don't you have 3G? Anything else is too painful and not worth using.

NexusOne isn't compatible with AT&T's 3G freqs, until Google releases the version of the phone that is. EDGE works plenty fine for my needs, or wifi if I really need fast internet on a phone.

brad

Quote from: broquea on March 12, 2010, 01:56:13 PM
NexusOne isn't compatible with AT&T's 3G freqs, until Google releases the version of the phone that is. EDGE works plenty fine for my needs, or wifi if I really need fast internet on a phone.

Oh ya, I forgot about that aspect. But I know what you mean since I have an N900. EDGE does NOT work plenty fine for my needs, it is way too slow.

sttun

Quote from: kcochran on March 11, 2010, 09:12:02 AM
While the resolver can return AAAA records, the iPhone doesn't have any v6 transport options in it currently.  Even the old trick of opening a v6 UDP socket and getting your local socket address bombs on the device.  Works in the sim, but it isn't _quite_ the same iPhone OS as a device.  We can hope that'll change for whatever 4.0 turns out to be.
Well as an Iphone developer (no apps yet)  I can confirm that Iphone os 4.0 beta 2 can use ipv6 on a lan using autocobfiguration (ie router advertisement)
And safari mobile supports it

kcochran

Oooo... speaking of unreleased items.  ;-)

Unless it was hiding in the slides at the 4.0 presentation.

hisken

The E71 handles IPv6 just fine, but it does still prefer IPv4 however  :(