• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

Tunnel does not remain stable

Started by starcastle, January 17, 2010, 07:05:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

starcastle

Since I have been using HE I have had to ping the HE end of the IPV6 tunnel to keep the tunnel open for inbound traffic.  This worked well with a 50 second delay between pings (I found early on that if I did not create this ping the tunnel would colapse and it would not recreate on inbound traffic.

Recently I have noticed that I know need to run this ping every 10 seocnds and even then the tunnel goes down.

This change occurred over the last month.  Anything changed?

I have never posted this so more basically should I need that ping I have created?

Thanks for help.

Peter

piojan

If everything is set correctly there should be no need for pinging.
Something is closing your connection (router, firewall). What do you have?

johnmon2

Hey, I've been having this for a long time, and finally got around to removing my ping.

My NAT box was closing the connection if no traffic had gone by for a while (5 minutes or so). So you need to do the equivalent of port forwarding, but instead of forwarding TCP or UDP, you need to forward protocol 41. (On my actiontec, there was a dropdown with "other" in the list which allowed me to specify the protocol number)

Obviously your setup is probably different, but since my symptoms were similar I figured I'd leave this here in case it gives you any insight into your problem. Good luck!

starcastle

I have a linksys WRT120N.  Pretty basic and it does not appear to have a protocol 41 option anywhere.

jimb

Quote from: starcastle on January 25, 2010, 05:31:08 PM
I have a linksys WRT120N.  Pretty basic and it does not appear to have a protocol 41 option anywhere.
Yeah most consumer grade routers (and some big ones like Cisco IOS) doesn't have a way of forwarding a generic IP protocol, unfortunately.  So you're left with using the DMZ feature (presuming it will forward non-ICMP/UDP/TCP traffic), or doing the "ping thing".

Alternatively you could replace the WRT120N with a linux or BSD box which is perfectly capable of doing this, and use your WRT120N as a simple access point instead of an internet router.  

I have a WRT610N with all the crazy bells and whistles, and I use it as a simple access point (too bad it's the only one they had w/ the dual simultaneous radios and GB enet ports ... I prob should have looked into D-Link).