• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

News:

Welcome to Hurricane Electric's Tunnelbroker.net forums!

Main Menu

Usage Poll

Started by broquea, April 17, 2008, 02:53:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

broquea

I'm curious what people use their tunnels for, and would like to better know the community :)

I use my tunnels to connect from behind Comcast and Speakeasy at home (oh and to test the tunnel-servers from the end-user's point-of-view of the service).

rlhdomain

I use IPv6 to expand my networking knowledge and as IPv6 is the future I see it as something to be added to my knowledge
and to find common issues that may have solutions that need to be remembered for future use

mindlesstux

I use it to ssh into my network at home to any equipment that can support ipv6.  (Just cant do wireless stuff atm)
Do have a webserver and dns server setup and running, for development purposes for some sites, that are bound to v4/v6 addresses.
A little research/expermintation too with a cisco router.

snarked

In addition to my true answer, I also want to see the dancing turtle!

My tunnel goes to my co-located box since native IPv6 isn't there yet.  I had also been using 6to4 since 2004.  Planned is a VPN to include my home machines but my router and DSL modem have been problems.

eonesixfour

I volunteer my time in supporting www.e164.org and one of our name servers in the UK has native IPv6 space, but the rest of our name servers like those in the US don't have IPv6 space and I've enabled both US servers with tunnels. In the last few days I've also added AAAA records for all the websites on one of the US boxes, and I'm going to be redoing our DNS records shortly to have IPv6 glue records as well, currently only the UK IP has been added as a glue record.

We're keeping track of the DNS requests coming in via IPv6 connections and it's pretty low at this stage, although not having the IPs as glue records is partly responsible I'm guessing.

I still have to shift mail + mailing lists to the same box at some point, and that would also be IPv6 enabled then as well, but I've been going to shift mail to that system for a few years now and just haven't gotten round to it :)

kriteknetworks

www/dns/icecast/ircd servers with v4/v6 access.

eonesixfour

Quote from: kriteknetworks on April 20, 2008, 07:33:06 PM

Ummm I thought IRC ports were blocked to prevent abuse?

broquea

Quote from: eonesixfour on April 20, 2008, 07:49:12 PM
Quote from: kriteknetworks on April 20, 2008, 07:33:06 PM

Ummm I thought IRC ports were blocked to prevent abuse?

Not on the newer tunnel servers that we started deploying last fall. We are taking steps with specific accounts that are reported for ANY type of abuse. If we see a steady rise of IRC related abuse, then the global ban goes back up.

amph

i selected personal use but that includes irc also. I like my service to be accessible by not only another address but through an entire other path. to me it feels robust and helps me think everything is as should be.

brad

I use my tunnels for OpenBSD/3rd party IPv6 software testing and development as well as IPsec/DNS/SSH/SMTP/IMAP/HTTP/FTP/IRC/SILC/VoIP, etc service. All of my personal systems (running OpenBSD) have v6 enabled as well as all other systems in the house (running Windows/OS X) whether wired or Wifi.

eonesixfour

Quote from: broquea on April 20, 2008, 09:39:00 PM
Not on the newer tunnel servers that we started deploying last fall. We are taking steps with specific accounts that are reported for ANY type of abuse. If we see a steady rise of IRC related abuse, then the global ban goes back up.

I didn't mean to imply you wouldn't take reports of abuse, I was just under the impression that you just blocked all IRC ports to prevent IRC abuse.

Is it possible to get IRC ports unblocked on other tunnels end points?
Is there any plans to setup an end point in Australia at all?
AARNET were running a broker but that seems to be broken for anything more then a /128 and all emails are going unanswered.

broquea

Quote from: eonesixfour on April 27, 2008, 07:53:58 PM
I didn't mean to imply you wouldn't take reports of abuse, I was just under the impression that you just blocked all IRC ports to prevent IRC abuse.

Is it possible to get IRC ports unblocked on other tunnels end points?
Is there any plans to setup an end point in Australia at all?
AARNET were running a broker but that seems to be broken for anything more then a /128 and all emails are going unanswered.

The only tunnels that might still have IRC blocked would be on either tserv1 or 2. tserv3 and higher are the newer platform tunnel-servers and not blocking IRC........at the moment.

No plans for Australia yet, since we don't have a POP there ;) Perhaps once we have one there as part of HE.NET's backbone, then we could provide a tunnel-server.

eonesixfour

Quote from: broquea on April 27, 2008, 09:21:03 PM
The only tunnels that might still have IRC blocked would be on either tserv1 or 2. tserv3 and higher are the newer platform tunnel-servers and not blocking IRC........at the moment.

I was sure I tried to connect to freenode on 6667 and it failed, but it just worked then, must have been their end or something transient, thanks for the correction.

QuoteNo plans for Australia yet, since we don't have a POP there ;) Perhaps once we have one there as part of HE.NET's backbone, then we could provide a tunnel-server.

Fair enough, let me know if anything is planned, although I'm sure it'd be announced anyways :)

westbrook

My preferred option isn't in the poll:  Actual business traffic (not just research).

I've migrated my entire department to ipv6 and we use it for production services daily.  The tunnel allows me to use ipv6 from other locations and still enjoy full connectivity.  Migrating to ipv6 also has permitted me to be much more flexible with routing tables and firewall rules (ip6tables) for traffic that traverses our departmental gateway between the department and the rest of the business.  Corporate IT phoned me recently and asked me to reconfigure machines to stop broadcasting "some kind of version 6 noise".  I told them, it's not noise, we're really using that, and when will you be getting on the bus?  Their response of course was "um, ok, carry on."

clicky

I got an old watchguard firebox 2 and erased the OS on it then installed DD-WRT
this enables the router to be configured for IPv6
These are my earliest experiments with IPv6 and need to learn it as the future is looming up
and IPv6 is the future

(regarding the firebox I followed this but installed dd-wrt not m0n0wall)
http://www.ls-net.com/m0n0wall-watchguard/